I Forge Iron

Handles

Rileyrock

Wander through everypic you can find on this site both in the forums. recent and past, and in the gallery pics, that should give you a grea idea for shapes sizes etc. Pay attention to materials that you like and would like to find ,,make a list of those materials and start contacting knife materials supplers including any that may be close to you. Contact them and see which of the materials they carry

I buy a good deal of mine from Ebay..About all of my exotic wood..I have a freind who is a taxidermist and I get all the stag from him I can use. Im a hunter and trapper as well so I have any number of bones etc to use if I want..
Check ebay for wood, you can get some dandy deals..Check taxidermists for scrap stag..You'll get it cheaper from them than anyone..

Completely agree about eBay, but a couple of bits of advice:

1. Be patient. The goal is get good wood at a price you like, not to quickly win auctions unless you really need that wood now. Most of what you buy will have to season for months+ anyway even if the seller says it's "dry".

2. Beware of stabilized wood unless the auction clearly says that it's processed by a well respected company or you really know the seller. A lot of the "stabilized" wood on eBay isn't well processed.

3. Take chances. I recently bid on three groups of rather questionable, poorly photographed scales from a seller I've had good experiences with. He said you should expect to get 2-3 sets of useable scales out of each batch. I got a good deal better than that at a max of $8 per batch. Took a risk and threw some of them in an order I was just sending off to WSSI (my first to them). All came back useable and some are really pretty -- I'll save them for something special. BTW: a lot of that WSSI order was 4 of the 18 boards of spalted silver maple I got for less than $2 a board including shipping. Results varied but I really liked two of them; one of the two was well worth the cost of having all four done.

These days I *tend* to buy larger blocks and expect to let them sit for a couple of years before cutting into them at all. Of course I've accumulated enough wood so that the only problem is my patience...

I am a wood scrounger. I find good wood in old pallats, dumptsers and many other places. I recently found some old ironwood at the feedstore. It was for electric fences. I bought scrap purple heart several years ago and have used it to handle many things including my favorite draw knife. I have fround some very dense (unidentified) reddish wood in pallats at a saddle maker. These came from Mexico Most recently I picked up a couple large chunks of mesquite at a flea market. I find bleached cowbones on any local ranch but you can go to a butcher shop and they will give you some. Take them home and boil them good.

Completely agree about eBay, but a couple of bits of advice:..

I might add that eBay can be a bit of a risk. I buy stuff from Ebay even though I have been burned about 6 or so times. Two sellers went out of business prior to shipping their items, and the rest sent stuff that was advertised as wonderful but arrived as either garbage and/or not the item described. All the sellers had high Ebay ratings, so that did not help. One seller even had a newspaper article written about how wonderful he was, and he turned out to be an out and out crook. :(