I Forge Iron

Met Coke vs Firepot

yea3114u

So, I have come across a decent supply of free metallurgical coke. I believe that is what it is after a little research and picture comparisons. After a 4hr session I was left with about 1/2 cubic inch or a bit less of clinker.

I had read in an older thread where Brian Brazeal had commented on his use of oil coke and how it ate through his firepots, but 250$ a year was a good trade off for free fuel.

I agree with this and imagine I would not burn through pots like he had but was curious if there was anything I could do to help prolong the life of my firepot. Something alongs the lines of a clay lining to subdue the intense heat at the bottom of it.

I am using an old champion 400 whirlwind firepot.

TIA, Nick.

I think it depends on how much you forge. When i visited Brian Brazeal, he told me he would go through like a ton or more coke a month. That is alot of forging. I just got a Roger Lorance fire pot for my coke forge. That thing is heavy, very thick and durable. I too am using free coke from an analysis business that deals with refineries. I have never used coal, but i know the coke is relatively smoke free. There certainly is an intense heat, when i turn the fire, the radiant heat feels like its gonna burn my beard off! Of course that may have some thing to do with it being 100 degrees outside. The side draft hood i built works great at getting the heat out of the shop though.

Yeah I doubt I will be burning through 1 ton a month. My arm would turn to jelly :rolleyes:

Found this on anvilfire "Because the volitiles are already burned out it is difficult to maintain a carburizing fire. Unless you have a deep fire bed (or forge pot) coke fires tend to run oxidizing like gas. Coke also burns VERY hot and can easily damage a fire pot. I do not generaly reccomend lining firepots with clay but it is a good idea when using coke."

Going to try and get a lining in this weekend if I find the time. Thanks for the input.

Consider building a side blast using a piece of stainless pipe. Make the fitting so it can be advanced for wear and replace the pipe when it is burnt away. Black pipe will also work but stainless will last longer.

I doubt any sort of common lining will stick to your pot for very long so might be best to simply use it until it burns out. Of course, some like redheads and some like blondes...;-)

You probably already know this from experience but an electric blower is commonly recommended for coke since there are no volatiles to keep it burning between heats - a hand cranked blower often lets the fire smolder and extinguish itself.

Well I got a lining in and it worked to an extent, no more sparklers constantly rising from the fire. However it was an earthen clay mix with sand and the sand just made a mess more than anything, and it tends to break up pretty easily when messing with the fire. Going to try a few more mixes and see if anything works better.

Wooldridge, you are right about the blower but I find I can let it go without blast for about 10 mins before it reaches a point of no return. I'm using an old buffalo forge blower and i think it helps keep me on task a bit :P as well as keeps me from burning up material. If i plan on stepping away for a bit longer I dig a pit, toss in some charcoal and cover, I've come back 2 hrs later and it cranked up in few mins back to operating temp. But, an electric blower I do foresee in the future. My arms getting tired ;)

yea3114u , i run a coke forge here in OZ ,
If at any time i need to walk away from forge for any time i'll throw a hunk of wood on top , can come back after 3 hr's , crank up blower again & with in 3 minutes i've a ripper of a fire goin' again .
What to do with that now 1/2 burnt hunk of wood , throw it inta slack tub till it's out completely , lift out , let drain / dry . Then next time you wanna lite a fire just knock off some of the charcoal from 1/2 burnt hunk of wood

Ow ta kill 2 birds with 1 stone , a coke fire that stays alite & " free " charcoal

Dale Russell