I Forge Iron

i need advice on building a forge

Hi, im new to this site, and i'm gonna be building my own coke burning forge.

i would like to know if anyone got and working/techincal drawings on building forges, packet drawing are good too.

what i would like to build is a water cooled tue and back bosch as a single unit to bolt onto the back of a forge. How many cubic feet per minuites of air do i need to displace to get up to welding temp? whats the best compressor for this? and what materials and material thickness's of pipe are best for a side blowing tue? just about everything anyones got on the subject.

any help will be greatly recieved
thanks

Welcome aboard New, glad to have you.

I take it you're somewhere in or near the UK. If so you can buy one ready made from Vaughans or other suppliers of blacksmithing tools and equipment.

Building your own shouldn't be too difficult if you have some basic metal working skills. I'm sure someone will chime in with the appropriate diameter for the Tue nozzle. Once that's known you'll need a piece of pipe that diameter a weld flange that diameter a couple elbows and nipples.

Weld up a steel water box with the weld flange welded into the side to face the fire. Thread your pipe into the flange from inside the box, add an elbow point it up and thread in another nipple to clear the top. From there do whatever's needed to make up to your blower. (compressor)

If you were to use two weld flanges welded back to back or a coupler welded intot he box you could use short nipples as sacrificial nozzles.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your locatin it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members in more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also, if local folk know you're around they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

Look at Blueprint BP0133 55 Forge. To make it a side blast, simply cut a notch in the side wall of the pan about 3 inches above the bottom and lay an 1 to 1-1/4 inch pipe about 8 inches toward the center past the side wall. Attach a supply line from your air source to the end of the pipe outside the forge. The pipe will corrode due to heat and when it does just slide more pipe into the pan. If you have a section of pipe a couple of feet long to start with, it will take a long while before it needs replaced. Pipe is cheap.

As you use this side blast forge, you can see how it works and build your next forge to better fit your type of forging. It can be water cooled or what ever changes you want. Building your first forge is always the hardest part. Building your second forge allows you to use your knowledge to get it closer to right. By the time you build forge 3, 4, etc you will build them for the type heat and fire they produce, large, small, round, long etc. It is all about having fun playing in the fire, not getting it exactly right the first time.