I Forge Iron

saber like sword

rokshasa

here is a saber like thing i'm working on right now i actually just got in from grinding and sanding got it to about 150 grit, its 22" long overall and the blade is about 16 inches and about 3/4" wide at 3/16 at the guard, im gonna have to build something to heat treat it in cuz my forge just isn't big enough to get the whole thing to heat at once but i'll worry about that later lol. please tell me what you think :D

17619.attach

looks like it must have been interesting grinding it! :D

the HT will be fun. Im sure you know but, make sure you normalise it 2 or 3 times (or what ever the specific steel calls for to stress relieve and sort the grain size, or its going to end up an interesting shape after heat treat !

Have a look on some of the blade forums for the sword type heat treat forges made from oil drums, you could make a smaller version of one of those if your on gas, or a nice long charcoal forge has worked good for thousands of years :D

yes i plan on giving it a good normalizing cycle , would hate for it to get all wavy on me and
i was thinking of making a trench forge and thats probably what im gonna end up doing until i can rig myself something better. only problem is i wont be able to do it here so im gonna have to go to my dads camp..no power lol and i dont have a hand blower anymore any suggestions as to what i could use as an air source. im sure i could get my hands on some car batteries for power but my electric blower is a monster and would't last to long im sure, plus im not sure if its safe for the motor so i dont really want to risk it until i have more info, again any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

i was thinking of a leaf blower but i dont have one lol, i think the high flow mattress blower or the car heater fan would work out seeing i can get them for free, i donno when im going to get to do it, with all the house renovation going on, but i will post more when i get it done.

rravan: i was planning for less of swooping point as to have the tip in line with the center of the blade for more balance, i was debating on what to do with the tip as well and ended up with that. is your suggestion for it to be more like the end of a say...knife, i can kinda see what your saying but not really lol. if you can make a little pic on paint post it up, i'd like to see your idea, lol maybe i can use it on the next one :)