I Forge Iron

My New Charcol Forge

Hillbilly iron

Looks pretty good for making blades.

Is the rod coming out of the tuyere an internal valve of some sort so you can shorten up the fire?

To slow the use of fuel simply make a swiveling choke plate for the blower intake. Less air, smaller fire. Regardless charcoal tends to burn relatively fast.

How does the hood draw? If not well enough you can try dropping it closer to the fire and or making skirts for the sides and back to help restrict the room air inflow.

All in all, I like your set up.

Frosty

Hi guys thanks for the help, i have some mud off the track to cut down the forge size,Thanks rmcpb.Frosty you ask what the Rod is coming out of the Tuyere,If i pull that out it clears out all the fire ash and keeps it all clean, i have a small half disc welded on the end.works great.I do have a hand blower coming,so will save on fuel big time,Thanks for your all help muchly appreciated

I thought it might be an ash scraper but if it was a full disk it would also be a way to shorten the fire so you aren't burning the full length all the time. The amount of time a person will need a trench fire is pretty small compared to how much you'll need "normal" size fire.

A person who does a lot of railings, twisting, sword heat treating, etc. needs a long forge. For the regular stuff like forging the sword, making scrolls, hammers, etc. etc. a regular fire is plenty.

Frosty