I Forge Iron

Ressurecting a froe

I have an old froe that I would like to put back into service. It is large and bi metal construction. I assume wrought iron and steel. The handle rusted out ages ago and has left a rather pitted socket. The pitting is so deep as to have opened the eye up and miss shaped it. If I had the setup I'd forge it to a smaller shape and reshape the inside of the eye. I just don't have the tools.

I have thought of filling the pits with my arc welder but I am unsure about welding to wrought iron.

So, If you had this froe, how would you fix it? WHat is the best way to go?

Thanks,

Ben

Well I'd take it right over there where a smith will let you borrow the forge to heat and re-shape the eye. Arc welding would probably be best as forge welding it back is not a beginners technique.

Arc welding wrought is a bit messy as the slag in it makes for holes needing more welding when you weld over it; but it can be done!

Now if you told us where you were at perhaps a local smith could make an offer to stop by some time. I sure would if you lived in Central NM!

If it's that old and needs that much work, I think I'd oil it up, wipe it down and make a wall hanger out of it. Pick up a piece of 2"-3" black iron pipe and arc weld it to the end of a length of leaf-spring. Heat up the eye and flair it for your handle and thin the edge out a bit. Might just do you til you get your forge setup. If you do decide to re-work the old froe, I hope it all comes out good for you :-)
Post up some pictures when you get it finished

The answer depends on the value that you place on the froe and the reason that you wish to restore it.
- If your intent to be historically accurate restoration, then you might want to take it to a smith and have additional period material forge-welded onto it, and reforged to proper shape and function.
- If your intent is to have something that has function as the priority, regardless of how it might look, then arc welding onto it, or buying a new froe are options.
- If your main goal is to learn about making or restoring a froe, then joining a blacksmithing group and progressing through progressively more difficult projects is a possibility.

If you provide pictures and describe what your goal is, then folks might be able to provide answers more tailored to your needs. :D

I made a half scale froe from a hoof rasp. A friend wanted one for splitting basket splints from hardwood. Stuck my first forge weld on the eye. Tricky little beast to get right. Third try got it to go. Fun but hard project, although I did learn a lot.

Anywho, I agree, if you want one to use, start from scratch. If you want one restored, take it to someone that can do it right. UnicornForge was dead on in his advice.