I Forge Iron

Howdy from the bank of the Kanawha River

Bill_49

If you don't know where the Kanawha River is, it is in West bygolly Virginny. If you do know where the Kanawha River is, it is still in West bygolly Virginny. I am not a 'smith or a farrier, but I did just buy a large anvil (200+ pounds). I had a heck of a time getting it unloaded... had to use a come-along... but it is in the building. I am not really sure if I will be keeping it... I have a bad heart and arthritis in the shoulders (went through the windshield of an 18 wheeler when I was young), but I do enjoying looking at it. It is a monster!
Oh well...
Howdy to all...
Bill

Welcome aboard Bill, from South Central b'golly Alaska, glad to have ya.

Bummer about the 18 wheeler windshield dive and subsequent problems. Better than the alternative though.

There are few things that look better in the shop than a handsome anvil. A hot fire and sparks are good too. Maybe you can find some youngster in your neighborhood who'd be interested in doing a little smithing. Just to give the old girl something to do you understand. ;)

Frosty

... I did just buy a large anvil (200+ pounds). ... I am not really sure if I will be keeping it....but I do enjoying looking at it....Bill

Welcome to the forum. A lot of people I have known who do blacksmithing have had some pretty serious injuries, so if blacksmithing is your passion give it a try. Sometimes it is a matter of adapting what you are doing to your unique abilities. :D

Ease into it a bit, you may find that it's a great exercise for your problems---if you don't push it. Many starters use way too large a hammer and are amazed at how small a hammer a pro can use.

And don't worry if you get to like doing it you can always trade up to a larger anvil a feller up north of me has a 750# West anvil...grin

WV is the only state with less water acres than NM; but of course we're several times as large.