I Forge Iron

CAD software!!! What do you recommend???

Ironscot

I'll fess up first rattle out of the box that I'm no wunderkind when it comes to operating computers. Whenever I think I'm going to knuckle down and learn what these things can really do, something always comes up like the need to wash my shoelaces or study ants out on the back sidewalk. I have painted myself into a corner on a couple of projects that are little more complex than I can handle on a napkin or bar coaster. So, what do you that do use for your cad systems?? I need something extremely simple or user friendly, 3-D capable with enough solid modeling capacity to do stereo lithography models off of the files. Sounds pretty simple to me. It's been a few years since I did my exit stage left from the manufacturing world so I'm more than a little out of touch.

Any suggestions??

AutoCAD is another one, but there again, without some training and a fairly greasy wallet, its out of reach to most. I hear there are a few resonably priced ones out there, but can't attest to their ease of operation. That seems to go with that third dimension. Good, Cheap, and easy? Pick two! ;)

Here is an older discussion of the merits of different CAD programs:
Welcome to the Manufacturing Forum: Basic CAD program

Here is an entire forum dedicated to CAD/CAM:
Welcome to the Manufacturing Forum: CAD / CAM

If you use Linux, you can get several to try for free:
LUnIx . . . CAD & Linux: Linux CAD Links

Here is one for all platforms that you can play with for free:
freeCAD: 3D CAD with Motion Simulation

I do not endorse any of these... just offering you some directions for further exploration.

Before switching to my major to history, I used Autodesk Inventor Version 7 in all of my Mechanical Engineering classes. The program is great, ad I was able to get a copy for my own computer to play around with. There is a book that I believe is just called Autodesk Inventor 7 that teaches you about the program and gives you little projects to complete while you learn. I've tried a few other CAD programs, but this is definatly my top choice for ease of use and learning.

Thanks for the input fellas. I used to have folks with retriever like focus to do this sort of thing, but it's a one clown circus now days.

If I remember correctly, the AutoCad was something like twenty grand a seat years ago. Last time I was at IMTS everything was headed towards Microsoft operating systems on the machining centers etc. I was a little curious as to whether the design software was flowing in the same direction. Spose I'll just have to truck my rear end back up to Chicago to find out.

I appreciate all y'alls help!

Ed Thomas, those are some great links. I'm going to give them a deeper read when I get a chance. Bashoi Spasibo!

Mr. Smith, What I'm getting into is just complicated enough to require serious files to shop out to some specialty sub-manufacturers. Tough as it is to admit, if I could do it all myself I'd be talking to whales and such. LOL My dad started his lifetime business with a drill press and several sets of swiss files. This is just a tad beyond that realm. VBG!

You may want to reverse engineer things and ask the sub-manufacturers what programs and files formats work on their equiptment.

It would be disappointing to spend hours and hours of work only to find the files can not be transferred to the sub-manufactures equiptment. Transfering or converting formats does not always convert all the information to the new format.

• 2 weeks later...