I Forge Iron

casting thermite

cavala

new to posting so hello to the community.

2 things really, all these mythbuster episodes on thermite has had me thinking could there be a way to use the process to cast iron. I realize its very dangerous and Im not saying id ever try it, but basically your byproduct is commercially pure melted iron;

1: Could there be a way to cast the metal? When welding on rail tracks they use a cast.

2: Wrought iron is almost pure iron,could this process be used to create bars for forging.

Its prolly crazy and like i said I will not be trying this. Just wanted to throw it out there see what the community thinks.

I look forward to your responses, Marc

Welcome aboard Marc, glad to have you.

Thermite comes up fairly regularly and while it's used for welding I don't know of any casting uses though I've run the idea past my synapses more than once. I'm not gonna try it but it's a fun thought experiment.

There's more to making wrought than just making pure iron with silica inclusions. Another entertaining thought experiment though. ;)

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also, if local folk know you're around they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

The byproduct is not so pure as one might think. The molten iron picks up a lot of stuff from the container, as well as from the ore.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=53491

IIRC, Mr. Bennett had some copper in one of the runs he had anylized.

VERY dangerous stuff. Learn ALL of the safety precations before proceeding!