I Forge Iron

my first RR spike Hawk

well here is my first attempt at the RR spike tomahawk, it's not tempered yet and i dont know if it's even HC, there were no markings to discern so i'm at a loss and i didnt think to spark test before so oh well.
the handle isnt set yet either but here it is for consideration, let me know what you think good, bad or indifferent. ;)

16957.attach

16958.attach

16959.attach

this aint no masterpiece but it's pretty good for my first i think and it took like 2 hrs to do but the next will be less and the next after that even less now that i kinda have things set for this and it was a ton 'o fun so go for it dont wait, you'll be happy you did it, i know i am!:D
thx for the comps dude

thx for the comp's folks, the HC deal was just an FYI since i saw some folks talking about that aying there was an HC on some spikes, so it was more a clarification since for all i know it may well be HC.
besides it's not for shaving anyway...lol, this is part of a trade for a Kene sluice for my gold panning here in NC but as long as it will throw and stick then it's all good to me.
i'll be looking for more RR spikes so i can make more and when i get the basics down then i can get to making them a lil more fancy.

looks cool! if its not hc it dosesnt matter, my son has beat the crap out of one and it still sticks every throw, now you cant shave with it but its a good thrower

Looks good man.

Just as a FYI since I didn't see anyone say anything about it yet but just in case you didn't know HC spikes top out at like 30 points of carbon. Not enough carbon for even a decent edge, but like you said it doesn't matter either way but just so you know.

Keep churning stuff out and you will improve a lot quicker than even you think.

well good to know the stats on it either way and i figured better to fail on a RR spike than a good piece of steel but keep the comments coming the more i get the more i learn and i really like to learn!
which brings us to the next thing i saw your class pic at BRCC, i took the welding class in that same room...lol
and i was looking for the class at the wrong BRCC, that one was in WVA....duhhh
so i missed the reg date and now have to wait till 1/7/10 for the next class to start, i'm a wee bit pissed at my stupidity, i really wanted to get in that class!
well at least i'll be at the next guild meeting so i'll see you there if not before.
catch ya later dude

Looks good man.

Just as a FYI since I didn't see anyone say anything about it yet but just in case you didn't know HC spikes top out at like 30 points of carbon. Not enough carbon for even a decent edge, but like you said it doesn't matter either way but just so you know.

Keep churning stuff out and you will improve a lot quicker than even you think.

ok so this morning i went to the flea market to look for some RR spikes (no luck there) but i did find this here tool, i dunno what the name of it is since i havent tried to look it up yet but it sure will work for making the hole for my tomahawks! :D
So i got this for $12, the guy wanted $15 sound like a good deal, is this what the tool is for?
thx in advance for ya'lls input, i guess i'll post this in the tool forum as well since i'm not so sure which to post it in since both see like excellent candidates for this post

16978.attach

16979.attach

I want to preface this by saying this is just my opinion on RR spike items.

If it is an item made from a RR spike it should leave some of the spike still identifiable, otherwise it just looks like any other item made from steel. The head is the most recognizable part, so if I were to make one I would leave the head on the back sort of like a hammer end. That way if it is laying on a table, and someone walks by they will easily recognize what it was made from.

I am curious to hear how yours works with the long spike out the back. All of the hawks I have thrown just had the blade with an eye. Wondering how it affects the flight path, and rotation. We always tried to hit the stump in one rotation of the hawk.

well leaving the head on i understand and pretty much agree with for the same reasons but the guy i was making this for wanted the spike out the back, i doubt he will throw it any but who knows.
i may try before i release the hawk and i'll be sure to let you know how that goes...lol
the next one at least i will leave the head on as a hammer back for camping, show, ect provided i can find more spikes since i'm not going on RR property that just a grief i'm looking to avoid!
also i'm no hawk thrower, the ol .45 works much better but i'll have it a try and let ya know here in a cpl days when i get the handle set right.

I want to preface this by saying this is just my opinion on RR spike items.

If it is an item made from a RR spike it should leave some of the spike still identifiable, otherwise it just looks like any other item made from steel. The head is the most recognizable part, so if I were to make one I would leave the head on the back sort of like a hammer end. That way if it is laying on a table, and someone walks by they will easily recognize what it was made from.

I am curious to hear how yours works with the long spike out the back. All of the hawks I have thrown just had the blade with an eye. Wondering how it affects the flight path, and rotation. We always tried to hit the stump in one rotation of the hawk.

Ken, your the man, sounds good thought i have been working on dropping by since the kids are at school i have more time now,maybe after i finish up on the spike hawk later this week, i'll give you a ring to check your schedule.
thx again and have a good one

Hey Mark, Want a few spikes? will bring um to the guild metting. HC of course.
Ken

• 2 weeks later...

ok here it is finished and ready to send to the customer, i have thrown this baby a few dozen times...for QA of course.......and even with the spike she does really well especially since i have never thrown a tomahawk before, this has made me look good!
it's got a decent edge but i dont expect miracles but for what it's for it' just fine and the customer is really happy, almost brings a tear to my eye!

17292.attach

17293.attach

• 2 weeks later...

cool man.

waay better than my first RR spike hawk. when i did mine, i didn't have a tool good enough to punch a big hole in to put the handle through; so I hollowed out a space at the top for the head to go into and then just screwed it in... it looked cool, but the screw got kinda bent when thrown. nice work on yours though!