I Forge Iron

Questions for Coalforge about Cornforge

Hello,
I have have been thinking about using corn for a fuel, and I have a few questions: How much smoke does corn produce when you put it on the fire green? Does it make a lot of sparks? Is it clinkerous? How fast does it burn (what are the dimensions of your firepot and about how much corn do you go through in an hour of forging)? And would "cracked corn" (dried kernels cracked in half) work in a forge, or would they burn too quickly?
sorry for this hail of questions, but I am very interested in alternate solid fuels.
Merry Being,
Happy Forging,
Stay cool and hydrated,
Thanks again,
Archie

I just tried some old dry rice from the back of the food cupboard, and it works really nicely, it smokes a lot, but when the smoke catches, it cokes really quickly and sticks together like coal coke, and burns darn hot! I definately want to try corn, and chicken feed too, now I think about it.
Thanks for the cave info!

Corn would be an excellent idea. I was going to try it, but never got around to it. It will work, but it needs to be dry. It is the same principal as a corn-burner for your house, and why people go crazy when there is the smallest spark or flame near the corn-cribbs at the grain elevator.

This thread is interesting. It seems that there are always questions about where to get coal. But now we have other potential fuel sources. What about wood pellets? Up here in the Northeast, lots of people heat their homes with wood pellets and some with corn. So it's not hard at all to get bags of that stuff fairly cheaply. But are they cheaper than coal or charcoal in $$ per hour of forging?

Also, I would guess that corn and maybe pellets would need a deep fire like charcoal. Does that make sense? The downside to corn is storage. Supposedly it can attract rats if not stored tightly.

... and why people go crazy when there is the smallest spark or flame near the corn-cribbs at the grain elevator.

I've also heard some people talk about the explosive properties of a lot of small particulates floating in the air. That might be part of the grain elevator threats as well...