I Forge Iron

scroll bender from a tube hand bender

Hi, i recently went to a fair where lots of people sell their stuff (kind of like a mega garage sale), and came home with a pipe bender like this:

Has anyone got experience using these for forging/bending stuff.
Could i make a it into a scroll jig.

ideas what i could use it for are appreciated. (might need to motivate purchase etc. ;) )

Copyrighted photo removed and replaced with a link

Great buy. I can envision a way to make BIG scrolls with it but generally the way is to lay out the scroll and make a jig.
It is a great tool to have and can be adapted to bending flat and round bar. These days people don't understand how heavy solid Iron is and so you may find it useful in making furniture out of light gauge tube with forged connectors. I've seen some very good work done along that line. Cold bent tube is a legitimate material for the blacksmith. IMHO.

I use to use a similar tool for bending flat bar on edge to make top rails for wall baskets to fit troughs into, or frames for other items, they produce a smooth repeatable 90 degree bend, and can be used on cold 1" x 1/2" mild steel anything larger and you can use them when material is hot.

Edited by John B
spelling