I Forge Iron

Necklace Pendents

Was fooling around today, actually meant to make a ring after some I had seen on here, but ended up making necklace pendents. Funny how that works!! :D

P8160393.JPG
Made them from some bits of stainless I had laying around. Anyways here you go, sorry the pictures are kind of fuzzy, couldn't get the metal to stop glaring.

They look pretty good. Next time try making charms, I hear they morph into rings. They probably wouldn't be glaring at you if you hadn't beat the heck out of them with a hammer. ;)

Taking good pics of metal, especially small shiny pieces can be more challenging than making the things.

Good job, SS is hard to work with.

Frosty

Very nice leaves.

Two trick that I sometimes use when photographing things that are too dark or too shiny is:

1) to sprinkle the object(s) with talcum powder. It is easy to clean off, lightens objects that are too dark and temporarily lessens the shine from objects that reflect the flash.

2) don't use a flash, instead provide a background closer in "grayscale" to the grayscale of the object, then position two or more of those inexpensive clamp-on type lights from the hardware store with the silver reflectors. More than one light source is usually needed to reduce or eliminate the shadows.

My father was a professional photographer. :D

What about a diffuser? Or does reflectors work better in this case? I have troubles with photographs too.

There is a good explanation of diffusers and reflectors at: Building an in-house photo studio - backdrops, diffusers and lighting to light the subject properly
Diffusers and reflectors were pretty much after my father's time in photography. His place of work was still using a wooden bellows camera with glass plate for large portraits at least through 1972. What I learned was mostly to use lights and bounce lights off the ceiling. The basic idea seems to try to light objects from angles other than from the direction of the camera. I have never been a great photographer so when I photograph stuff now, I take between 12 to 20 digital shots from different angles and with more than one lighting arrangement then use the shot that turned out the best. Taking the extra step of using a cloth backdrop, diffusers and reflectors as described on the above web site is something that I will likely do when eventually photographing finished pieces for display on a website. :D