I Forge Iron

kukri (getting busy in new shop!)

Hello Everyone,

I have managed to complete a working kukri to use in trimming some of the small stuff in my new back yard (partially forested). Besides, I wanted one of these to take camping. If you can believe it, I sold the other kukri I made.

It is not as "finished" as it could be, but I like it a lot for a real workhorse. It chops and slices like a fiend. Also, you can't tell it, but the whole darn thing is one big weld. I only had 1.25" x 1" 1095 on stock, and I wanted a wider blade. So, I had to weld two bars together to get enough mass. The weld is visible on the spine, but it is invisible everywhere else!

For me, getting two pieces of 11" long stock to weld perfectly was a big accomplishment.

blade: 12" (around curve and all), 10.5" from point to guard.
3/16" @ elbow
1/16" @ point

1.7" wide at widest

1095 from Admiral Steel
Rosewood, brass, and leather.

this was fun to make, I forged closer to final product on this than on the last kuk, I have learned to use the edges of the anvil to work bevels down more (or I should say, I am beginning to learn this skill and I played with it on this knife).

comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

Kevin

16588.attach

16589.attach

16590.attach

Thanks mark and HWoolridge,
this thing would be a fierce chopper and even with the slightly rounded spear point, it would stab pretty well. There is a good taper from elbow to tip, and with the wide and slightly convex bevel... It chops better than a small machete that I made that is 3 inches longer.

Easier to carry, too. Wouldn't want to fence with it, but it would work in a trench.

Or, um, in my back yard on rouge maple saplings...
kc