I Forge Iron

First attempt.

Kinda new to this blacksmithing thing.
I've had the stuff for a long time, but pretty much used it to straighten lawnmower blades and heat treat stuff. :D

Anyway, I tried to make a garden ornament, and I tried to make it look like it was moving. I didn't get the tail bit rounded up enough before coiling, but it's good enough for me. I at least feel like I wasn't just wasting coal.

16502.attach

16503.attach

It looks kind of like a copper head, no wait I think it might be one of those rare steel head snakes found around Charleston Ill. It's a unique piece and one to proud of Tcf, we tend to be our own harshest critics, so when you make the next one you will no doubt try a few things different, and the next one and the next.
Darn good use of a hot coal fire IMO. Well done mate.

Darned nice snake Fix. I call that an excellent use of resources and time.

Read some of the things Brian Brazeal has written about isolating material, it applies directly to getting good definition on snake heads. Upsetting is also an effective technique.

They're also good reasons to make eye and nostril punches and a slitter for the mouth.

If you do a search for forged snakes or "rasplesnakes" you'll find some more ideas.

Well done.

Frosty