I Forge Iron

Acquiring a TIG

Pinjas

Hey,

I have been shopping for a while for TIG's. On the advice of a few on this forum, the best choice for welding aluminum are TIG's. Luckily there is a great amount of knowledge on TIG's and I think I have a decent understanding of the device and ideas around it.

What I seem to need is a TIG that can do AC (alternating current) at HF (high frequency) with at least around 200 amps allowing my duty cycle to be acceptable for what I am going to be doing.

Here comes the sort of sticky part, I am on a budget. I have around 1,500 to spend. I have been scowering craigslist, ebay, and the rest of the web but I haven't had any luck. I am hoping for a guiding light towards something that matches my criteria. I have seen the chinese TIG's, I am an American and I believe in freedom. I don't support slavery so I am not interested in TIG's sold by companies like everlast.

Thank you!

Pinjas:

I do a lot of Tig welding. I do race cars, airplanes, Tool steel and lots of walk in projects. Take Freelance Fabber's advise. Check out the Miller Diversion. I used one at three different Miller demonstrations. I have the Miller dynstay 300 and the dynasty 200 that I used almost every day. The Diversion was built for persons like you. It is the only way to go for a beginner Tig Welder. Check with Miller to see if there are going to be any demonstrations of the Diverson in your area and go use one. The people there will guide you through it. Two other things with tig welding, if you need reading glasses be sure to get a pair of reading glasses to weld with and second get a good light weight welding helmut with an auto-darkening lens. Spend good money on a helmut, look a the Miller selection. As you can tell I am a Miller fan. I have tried others but always came back to Miller. I have Miller Tig, Mig and Plasma cutters. Check the Tig welding prices on Ebay. I think you will find that you can get one delivered to your door for around $1,350.00. This is where I have found best prices.
Once you have accomplised the Tig you'll be able to do steel, stainless, aluminum, brass, bronze, titainium and combinations. When you have a question or advise on welding you can call the toll free tech line for Miller
Good luck and remember, Practice, Practice and etc.

OK my 2 cents worth. I welded aluminum tubing piece work for 17 yrs. You run 200 amps on 1/8 wall tubing 40-60 hrs a week. Have run the red ones gray ones and blue ones.
Started my own shop with a 20 yr old 250 dialarc. Upgraded to a 35+yr miller 330/abp
from Los Alamos labs. Yeah its an old antique. Weighs about 1000 lbs. Welds anything from razor blades to 1 inch alum with no outside pre heat. Ps you can weld alum with a mig or tig on DCRP.
ken

Hah, yeah, I have definitely looked into the miller diversion series. They look real nice and the brand seems very reliable. My greatest concern is that 'bang for your buck' aspect. I see the high frequency box as well, it is an interesting idea, though I don't think it is worth as much as they want.

I recently found a video of a guy who was essentially emulating pulse with the foot pedal. This has really blown my mind in terms of TIG welding. I am trying to keep this all very simple and easy for myself and sometimes all of the knobs and switches on TIG's seem like a maze.

At the moment I am considering a very different route. I have found that vehicle alternators put out 100% duty cycle 3 phase current, all they need to do this is an electric motor that can turn a belt at 6000 or so RPM's. This isn't my own original idea, all I thought was to google "how to make a tig welder". Because really, all welding is is generating heat to melt stuff. I know that is an over simplification, no need to bark that one to me. I am still doing a lot of the research on the topic but if anyone is interested a few sources are High-Frequency Start Box www.pulse-jets.com • View topic - Homemade TIG Welder
I am still open to the idea of purchasing a large, older, used TIG device and adding on a high frequency box and doing the rest with a torch and a foot pedal, but learning this idea sounds like a very close match. Right now though, the idea sounds most appealing to purchase the larger older TIG.

The thing is that high frequency start is not for aluminum. Aluminum needs continuous high frequency. It would be helpful to know what part of the country you are in. In my area right now there is a brand new still in the box Thermal Dynamics 185-GTS, which is an awesome welder and about half price.

My first TIG, which I still have, is a Linde UCC 305. Picked it up at an auction for $250, added a new foot control for $160, and a new torch. It had a radiator, so I went with a water cooled torch. It works great, and it was what I learned on out at the local community college. I actually like the high frequency start on my Linde better than some of the Miller, and Lincoln welders I have used. I have seen a couple on Craigslist for about half of your budget. They are 1,000# so shipping would be steep unless it was close to you. Check around for local machinery auctions. The majority of my tools came from auctions, and I averaged .10 on the dollar for pricing--do your homework first. Remember, if you get out bid ,don't worry there are more out there.

I live around st. paul, Minnesota.

I have definitely been scouring ebay. As mentioned, what you want has to be close enough to pick up, shipping 500 pounds or more to your door step can be a pretty hefty expense.

I have been thinking more on it and the idea of getting an older TIG an adding to it sounds like a fantastic route. Many folks say their older TIG's are huge beasts that will last seemingly forever.

I did a bit of quick searching online for machinery auctions. I don't really know how this is found. Maybe you know of a large listing BIGGUNDOCTOR? I found a listing on craigslist about an hour away http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/tls/1313384958.html that has the same welder you do, but it's much more than 250. Think haggling with him could work? : D

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Edited by Pinjas