I Forge Iron

First forge recommendations?

bigdog

Just starting to try my hand at this. I have done some heat'n'beat in the shop with the o/a torch and an old bench vise, but am looking for something a little more...realistic. I am a shop foreman for a lawncare and landscape company, so I have access to 2 welders, one o/a torch, a plasma cutter, and a whole lot of scrap metal, so fabricating isn't a problem. I'm just wondering if I should start with a solid fuel or gas forge. I am planning on working out of my back garage at home, small town in MN, not real worried about the neighbors. I was thinking of doing something very similar to(if not a downright copy of) Mad Uncle Cliff's portable forge. I also have 3 sections of railroad rail to cut into an anvil (as well as some really good earplugs). Have really enjoyed strolling through the forums and reading everyone's posts. Any answers appreciated.

Solid fuel forge may be cheaper and quicker. I am over $100 into building a gasser and not done yet. It's going to be close to $100 more to finish it. I started on the gasser because it is "instant on" and can be put away soon after shut down. I found this to be desirable for safety since I can only work during my daughter's naptime.

Phil

Birddog - Sept 18th,19th,and 20th the Guild of Metalsmiths will be having their Fall Conference just south of Hastings, MN. Someone usually always has a forge or two there for sale - gas or coal. You may be able to find what you are looking for in the tailgating area and any other stuff that wants to jump in your vehicle. - JK

Here's a picture of my small charcoal forge--I have a slightly larger one that I purpose-built for the heat treating of the top section of my anvil (pictured). Total cost was about $25 (U.S.). I used a homemade castable refractory that I found on the web and the "blower" was an old hairdryer my wife gave me after the heating element went south. I made a variable speed power supply for it (with spare parts I had laying around--I'm into electronics both as a hobby and as a profession, so if I had to price that, it'd probably be about $25). Used cardboard boxes lined with tin foil to cast the "bricks" on the top--really helps with cutting down both sparks and fuel consumption. All in all, a really cheap setup--also, I can get lump charcoal at my local megamart in 15 lb. sacks for about $9. The only drawback I could see with this is you couldn't use it in your garage, or a shop that wasn't specifically designed for this type of forge. I'm going to be starting on a small gasser in about a week or so, which (theoretically) should cost about $150.

16678.attach

My first forge was made from a grill lined with a Portland Cement/sand mixture. Although I have found because all the cement crumbled off the sides that it really wasn't needed. The grill is aluminum I believe and doesn't get hot enough to melt or even glow. The cement is useful for setting the pipe in the bottom of the grill though.

A little suggestion if you try this setup only put holes on one side I found it works much better to keep your coal or charcoal piled to one side. You can then even cut off one end of the grill, living a little lip, and you can then stick longer stock in it.

EDIT:What type of forge you build really depends on what type of fuel you have readily available to you. If you can't obtain charcoal or coal easily you will want to make a gasser. However if you can obtain charcoal, coal, or can even make your own charcoal then a solid fuel forge is what I prefer. It's just something about tending the fire, the smell, keeping it just right....ahhh...its heart warming. lol Anyways if you use coal, it will work much better in a shallow forge, kind of like double edge's. Charcoal will work well in just about any forge I believe, but I have found coal works better in a shallow forge. Well that's then end of my expertise, I wish you well on your quest! : D

First_forge.JPG Forge_Aid_Duct.JPG

Edited by Drako11
Thought of more information to add

Oh ok I had no idea! lol : ) I guess what I was trying to say was the aluminum of the grill doesn't get hot enough to melt, at least I have had no problems. So you would be fine not covering the sides of the grill with cement as long as it is aluminum, cast iron might be fine as well I think.