I Forge Iron

hood for gas forge

territorialmillworks

Have a three burner gas forge and a new 24x22 shop. Question is how to vent a gas forge with a front, back and side openings...Seldom use the side door but both the front and back have to be open when using 2 or 3 burners to keep the back pressure down......Not very imaginative but thinking about just mounting an exhaust fan in the wall behind the forge...Open to all ideas,,,thx

I love the setup on Ron Reil's webpage.

It is a sheet metal hood with a draft inducing fan. If I ever end up setting up a purpose built space I think this is the way to go. I think you could run a portable coal forge under it safely too with the amount of air it is supposed to move.

As long as your fan doesn't get dragon breath on it I would expect it to work well. Do a quick gas volume calculation on your burnt products in air and make sure it draws at least that volume per time. I'd have to look all that up too, sorry.

Phil

OK, I missed the obvious- match the exhaust to gas volume Duh. But that begs several questions>>>The T-Rex "clones" have an induction ratio of 28:1 with 7# max PSI. So how do I figure the mixed gas input volume and then the thermal expansion of ignition???......I get it, BIG blower. Too often I over think these things. If Ron's setup works with his health problems and his knowledge base, I think that I'll be OK with mine. I'll get a digital CO meter just to be sure. Thanks guys for your advise........Keith

T-Rex . . . clones?

Rex makes a fine burner but it's not something he developed. He uses someone else's design in the main and refined the manufacturing methods. He didn't even use the other fellow's most advanced design for production reasons. This was all done with permission and cooperation, nothing shady about it at all!

For just a little more (a couple C notes +/-) a person could contact one of the commercial inducer manufacturers and buy one that is designed and made specifically to burn propane by folk with millions $ in equipment and decades of experience.

Rex makes fine burners that perform just as advertised, I'm not bad mouthing Rex or his product in any way. I just want to dispell the notion that other folk making the same style burner are in some way cloning or copying "his" design. This basic device has been around for centuries that I know of.

Frosty

In my shop, the high point of the roof is right over top the gas forge. In that high point I have a 24" turbine ventilator. In a 3-4 mile an hour breeze that turbine is rated for something like 3500 cfm. I open a storm door, modified to a sideways mount window at the lowest point in my shop. I get good cross flow and since the coal forge is right next o the gas forge, any smoke that gets by the tack on the coal burner gets sucked up by the turbine.

I cloned the T-Rex burners on my mill and lathe. Liked the design and challenge of machining them. Something 'magical' about fast spinning metal parts with chips (and coolant)flying everywhere. Even better, I have less than $10 in each burner not including the nozzle. Frosty, it's another 108 deg day with 20+% RH... wish you were here LOL. Now to buy a CO monitor and insulate the shop before it gets 'cold'.

T-Rex . . . clones?

Rex makes fine burners that perform just as advertised, I'm not bad mouthing Rex or his product in any way. I just want to dispell the notion that other folk making the same style burner are in some way cloning or copying "his" design. This basic device has been around for centuries that I know of.

Frosty

There are any number of forge burner designs around. Back in the seventy's we were exploring and developing all of the now "standard" designs.
Each of the current designs has it's strengths and weaknesses. Basically the easier it is to build the less closely it approaches the theoretical ideal.

Nobody is stealing any thing! Burner design has always been applicaion driven. The ribbon burners discussed earlier here are with out a doubt the best for forge furnace applicaion, when price is not a factor.
Pine Ridge Burners - Home Page

I happen to favor the quick and dirty approach for my personal forges and so
don't worry about the fine nuances of burner building. Because I am able to recognize a "correct" propane flame I am able to tune my crude burners to an acceptable neutral flame. From my experience Michael Porter"s book "Gas Burners: for Forges Furnaces & Kilns" gives very good and easily copied designs for efficient burners. The builder needs to follow them exactly but when built they are excellent burners.

Charlotte