I Forge Iron

big railing project

If you need a textured round bar hammer it from square stock and vice-versa, merely 'distressing the bar looks cheap (in the American sense).

Sam, I am going to do exactly that (for the rest of my blacksmithing life). I've never considered that before, and it seems so obvious now. Thanks very much for that.

I was near your neck of the woods last year, my gal and I had the pleasure of spending a week in the cotswolds, stayed in an old manor house turned hotel a lil village called bibury. A couple days in london before that. There's not a place on earth I love more than my own US of A, but I've got to say that the UK is a close second. I've never seen such beautiful countryside or met such nice folks. (well, scratch that, folks from tennessee are just as nice) Edited by MarkC

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick I do appreciate that and I read you five by five. No hard feelings on my end, I left egotism somewhere back at basic training. I joined this forum for two reasons, 1. to get to know follow smiths, and 2. to learn things from people who know much more than I do.

Show me a man who thinks he knows it all, and I'll show you a fool.

Believe your measurements, but trust your eye. I like that one.

Sounds like your doing a reasonable project you will accomplish it I am sure,

Some of us mainly me always try to take on things they know they havent done(read as cant do untill proven) in order to prove that they can do it

I gave back the money and realized that one person cant do the work of 10

I,m very new to Blacksmithing and a long time custom home builder.
These guys have given a lot of very good advice here. They know exactly what they are talking about.

All of this reminds me of something my grandfather told me not long after me and my partner started working for ourselves (30+ years in business, the economy is about to end it !). He said: Never do work for family or friends that you expect to get paid for.
I didn't listen and have done both, some good some not quite so good. But it's still something I think about very often.

Good Luck,
Billy

Edited by bsiler

Ah... the old fireman turns craftsman story....
I was under bid by a firefighter once. For many years I made custom furniture and cabinets.... I went up against a full time firefighter for a kitchen cabinet job, about $40k worth. When my bid was rejected, I asked the customer why, which lead to bid amount.... Long story short. The bid I was up against was basically for materials only and virtually no money for labor, about $15k. The firefighter was doing it for "fun".
So, As an emerging professional tradesman, Please bid it realistically! Those of us who do this kind of work for a living find it VERY hard to compete with hobbyist prices. Its not right for you, the industry or the trades to drastically under price good quality work. The only winner is the end user. In this case they will be selling your work for full price anyway!

Sorry for the rant....

marc a good way to figure out what it is going to take. what I do is figure out the metal have the client buy it produce a 1' section and record the hours (we all work at different speeds) then multiply it by $100.00 an hour then X running feet. that is there cost. they dont want to do it give them back the metal they purchased. "do not forget the insurance" join abana they have it though a broker.

Edited by Francis Cole
sp

When the local blacksmithing guild started out over 21 years ago, professional smiths were kind enough to regularly demonstrate and share knowledge with members of the guild. The only thing the professionals back then asked was for amateurs not to under-price the professionals because they were trying to support their families through the craft. I still see that as the ethical thing to do.

I applaud you for supporting the craft by being professional and ethical.

• 2 months later...

well, here ends my first job for hire. and MAN AM I GLAD IT'S OVER! haha The builders liked the drawing so much, they decided to have me build them as the front entry railings instead. i was certainly fine with that.

100_2576.jpg

100_2575.jpg

100_2577.jpg

100_2578.jpg

Edited by MarkC

thanks pine tar, yeah i cooked them up, but i didn't design that ribbon twist on the front. The customer found a photo of that on the WEB and he liked it and wanted it on there, but he wanted it changed a bit from the original photo he found. I do not know who the smith was that made that original twist, but I readily give him or her the credit he or she deserves for coming up with it, because it is beautiful. and was a chore to duplicate.