I Forge Iron

My 50# LG going now

mcraigl: Yeah, that's why the guy I mentioned kept his slowly ticking over. Brakes work best when adjusted so that the clutch is coming in before the brake releases. If the crank is at, say, 10 o'clock and you step on the treadle, if the brake releases first , the hammer will fall backward before the clutch starts taking up. Best if the hammer is under the control of either the clutch or the brake at all times with no "dead" spot.

Frosty- Good job. Listen to Grant re: brake/clutch interaction. For a little added safety in case of spring failure and the resulting shrapnel, get a length of rubber big truck radiator hose slightly larger than the diameter and length of your hammer's spring and install around the spring. The flexible hose won't bother the mechanism. Shattered spring bits can be quite small and may fit thru the slots in your guard, the hose will hopefully stop/slow down any smaller bits.

Craig:

I hadn't thought of stopping it with the ram up and practiced some yesterday while forging some Cala lillies for a club project. Forgot to take pics so will have to post pics of the finished grill.

Grant:

I don't care for the hammer ticking over at idle, or should I say it goes against my nature but that may change as I get more time on it. I have the brake adjusted pretty closely already and will shoot for no gap once the clutch starts catching like it should.

Judson:

In spite of how Grant and I pick at each other I listen to him carefully along with a good many others here.

Beth:

Darlin, you're making me blush. ;) Mother was a heck of a gal, I miss her a lot.

Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bill:

I don't expect her to stay nice and clean for long, there's already oil running down in places. I need to get a stencil made and the name painted on before she's too grimy.

I'm enjoying the learning curve though I'm not getting as much time on her as I'd like. I have too many other projects needing finishing before the snow flies.

Frosty