I Forge Iron

Log splitter

I was considering the same thing. I have access to a log splitter with a 20 ton press. It would not be difficult strengthen the beam or add a platform with guides on either side similiar to a free standing hydraulic press.

Just wondering if you had developed this any further.

Log splitters have been used for forging presses with little modification. Most are already designed to pivot to vertical and pin in position. I usually prefer splitting wood with it horizontal but that's personal preference.

Anyway, 2-4 tons is a pretty wimpy splitter, around here the rentals are 10-12 ton and you can buy 22 ton splitters without having to look.

There are two basic styles, the ones with a flat base plate and the splitting wedge pinned to the cylinder and the ones with the wedge on the base plate and a pusher on the cylinder.

Were I converting one I'd go for the flat baseplate so I could make bolt on bottom dies. The top dies pin to the ram though you'd want to make a sleeve that slips over the end of the ram's rod to keep it aligned.

Log splitters are over designed for the amount of force they can apply. About the worst that will happen stalling one is the squealing sound of fluid escaping over bypass will hurt your ears.

The downside is they move slowly, most guys who have tried it say too slowly. The overbuilt frames and slow ram speed are for safety's sake, you don't have to have any kind of cert, training or sense bo buy or rent a log splitter.

I'm talking about commercially made splitters here.

If you decide to convert a home made one you lays down your money and you takes your chances.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

Great information. The splitter I've got is a commercial one with 20 ton press. It moves relatively quickly, and one advantage over the presses powered by bottle jacks(even the larger ones with air over hydraulic) to me is the ability to have forward and reverse motion without turning a pressure release screw. Just kicking the ideal around.

I have built quite a few splitters and can tell you that if your resourceful and do a little scrounging you can build a way better splitter than you can buy, the most I have ever spent building one is about $600 and that was approx 30 ton and had a cycle time of about 14 sec, which is very fast for a splitter for those of you who may not know, which is the other benefit to building your own is you can build them so they are fast where as the ones you buy are slow, like Frosty said for saftey.
If your mechanically inclined and can weld then by all means build your own but don't try and go and buy all new materials and expect it to be cheaper, the only things I buy new if need be is a pump and or valve other wise everything is found here and there, go and scavenge at the local scrapyard and you should be able to find just about everything you need.

welder19

For excellent pricing on log splitter pumps and valves as well as very good pricing on "ag" cylinders try Bailey Sales in Knoxville. They have a web site, and the Phone is 1-800-800-1810.
The pump needed is a Barnes, two stage. Has high flow at low pressure, moving the cylinder fast till the work starts and then the pump makes higher pressure at lower flow. The pump shifts automatically.
I bought many of these as well as the cylinders for an Ice blocker we made at the valve shop. We sold the ice blockers to ice houses, they used the scrap ice peices and compacted them into blocks.