I Forge Iron

Old Blow Torches

primtechsmith

I have seen quite a few of these old blow torches for sale in antique shops, flea markets, and ebay. The thing is that I have seen stuff that says they run on gasoline, kerosine, or alcohol. How can I tell the difference between them? I wouild hate to put the wrong fuel in one and have it ruin the torch, or me, or the shop.

Anybody know any insider tricks on telling which torch burns what fuel?

Peyton

Peyton -
This is strickly my honest opinion... old torches - leave them on the shelf as antiques. The only reason I say that is many years ago I took an old set in to have completely refurbished so it would work (it was given to me). The dealer wouldn't even touch it cause it was so old. The reason being is the liability of touching them they said. I understand that - eventhough a new torch set will set one back a couple to a few hundred dollars. Although you have to remember that a torch can be a very dangerous and possibly a deadly item if something goes amuck. I myself would rather wait and save some money and spend the money on a new set so as to eliminate any possibility of failure due to the previous owner. Expecially after looking at the box of old sets the dealer had in the corner that were jury rigged in some of the worst ways to try to get to work because the people didn't want to buy new - but eventually did. I may not have the best life but it's the only one I have and I'd like to stay topside for a little longer if it's up to me. I'm not saying they are all bad but keep your own safety in mind. - Jeremy K

If you're referring to the heating torches with a pumping mechanism on the side to pressurize the fuel so it sprays a mist which when lit is the torch flame, kerosene was commonly used because it was cheaper and burns cleaner. Gasoline would work and I suppose any flammable liquid would too. All I've known them to be used for is to thaw frozen pipes or heat other things to get them going. The flame can't be focused to cut or weld with.

I have been told to polish them up and find them a new home. For heat use a small propane torch for $15 or so at Wal-mart, Lowes, Home Depot etc. The ones with the auto start are about $30. The people that used the old blow torches have moved on to better equiptment for a reason.

Peyton -
Please forgive me I thought you were talking about old oxy/acetelyne torches that you wanted to re-use. Also - like Glenn said "they have moved on to better equipement for a reason". As a polished up piece of history - I think that it would look great!. sorry for the misconception. -Jeremy K

I don't think these torches were ever intended to do what an oxy/acet set does. I use one to mostly to heat up a soldering iron Does yours have two opposing bits of tin on the side of the torch where you could balance a piece of 5/8 round that has a lump of copper on the end and a wooden handle on the other? Ive used it too, on occasion, to bend wood. They are very handy if only used up to their limits...isn't everything?

These were used mostly for heating soldering irons. (although they were used to thaw out pipes just as you would use a modern torch, A/O or Burnz-o-Matic)There are "V's" on top of the torch to hold the irons while heating. Irons were sold in pairs, heat one-start soldering while #2 is heating and switch out as needed. "White gas" was the best fuel to use, we know it now as "Coleman Fuel". Kerosine was also used but GASOLINE was NOT used, too dangerous (like the rest isn't! HEHE) As mentioned above, your best bet (and safest) is to clean and polish it up, place on shelf and admire! Also if you have an iron clean it up and place on top of the torch as if it is being heated, makes a nice display. The ones at the Big Box stores are much safer and easier to use!

If one does polish up the old blowtorch and put it on a shelf, what is a good use for the kerosene left over? There is more than needed for cleaning up nonlatex paint, don't want to get rid of it, have nothing else that burns kerosene, and besides, I'm supposed to be a recycler :D

The reason that those blow torches should not be use was explained best by the late Jim "Paw Paw" Wilson on the Anvilfire Guru page. I couldn't find the thread due to the lengthy process of the continuous thread but to paraphrase, these torches often had leather seals which shrink from non-use. If they had ever been replaced with rubber seals those too have long passed their effective life. The torches were not that safe in their best years but that was the technology of the day. And as many have stated here, they only produced enough heat for soldering and thawing of pipes or maybe a frozen bolt or two. They do make neat conversation pieces however. I have one the was my grandfathers and it is one of my favorite shop ORNAMENTS. Just my two pieces of coppers worth :) -Scott