I Forge Iron

Viking era riveted sheet iron pot/kettle

I finished this up yesterday. It is a Viking era riveted sheet iron pot or kettle. The beverage can shows you the relative size of it. Most recovered artifacts are around twice that size. (and I now know WHY - easier to hammer those rivet heads inside of it!!!!)

SheetIronPot1.jpg

SheetIronPot2.jpg

Did I mention? Nordic Fest starts in Decorah IA this evening - thus the Viking era forge work. 30 to 40 thousand extra people in town (only 10 thousand normally). Lots of people of Scandinavian ancestry showing up to ... party.

I also made up these Viking era flint strikers yesterday.

VikingStrikers3Pair.jpg

Aaaah, the little ... toys ... we tinker with.

Now to go help the guys with the Viking longboat find a monestary or castle to raid! (or at least plunder a bass boat or two on the river!)

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

The seams gunk up and seal in use. A little cornmeal or oatmeal swirled in water inside tends to seal them up fairly quickly. Plus when you COOK in it, the food also kind of bakes into those joints. It will drip a while, but it is surprising just how fast it does seal up in use.

Mikey

The seams gunk up and seal in use. A little cornmeal or oatmeal swirled in water inside tends to seal them up fairly quickly. Plus when you COOK in it, the food also kind of bakes into those joints. It will drip a while, but it is surprising just how fast it does seal up in use.

Mikey

I take it that you will not see too many of these in a commercial kitchen then :)

Cheers

A cooking pot like that has been on my 'to do' list for a long time, just so I have one for myself to use :) I just need to sit down and work out the pattern before I start :D

looks good though! I saw a pot like that at West Stow (Anglo Saxon reconstructed settlement in East Anglia), but it was a bit bigger than that: about 2 1/2 feet across! Now that would be an interesting project

Most of the original Viking pots/kettles were larger. It sure helps when forming those rivets inside! I used 18 gauge for the main pot, but grabbed a 12 gauge slug/knock-out for the bottom instead of just cutting a new circle from the 18 gauge. It would have been better to cut it from the same material. Although, that extra weight on the bottom does kind of help keep the pot from wobbling over when set down.

I've made several before (but never took pictures). I always intended to make one for my own use, but just got ... talked out of them. We'll see just how long I can resist the ... arm twisting ... with this one!

Mikey

The small ones tended to be made from a single piece hammered out---as was shown in the viking exhibit at the Smithsonian a decade or so ago and can be seen in the "prune people" viking book. (one of the many called "the vikings" but with very good line drawings of physical culture as well as pictures, unfortunately all the people are drawn with "prune" faces).

That "prune people" book sounds like the Crescent book called The Vikings - mostly white dust jacket.

I had several more sections all formed up for this one, but didn't calculate the "curves" as well as I should have. Only 4 sections would fit after I got them all dished. That also shrank the bottom circle needed by about half. So the next one will be about 2 to 2 1/2 times as wide. And the bottom will be of the same thickness of material!

Projects .... all the little projects we want to do for ourselves ... but only occasionally get to tinker on!

Mikey