I Forge Iron

Rail anvil hardening

I am just putting a forge together here in Ohio as I don't have access to a forge less than an hour away and have only just made friends with the local group.

I have an old rail anvil (well, it was cut out to the shape of an anvil) that I have used for years in my armor/steel box when going to SCA events. It has always been rough and rust pitted, but worked great for rivets and small things around camp.

I do not have much of a budget right now to buy even a cheep anvil, but if one shows up, I will work that out.

The issue I have now is that after grinding and sanding most of the rust off the face and dressing the horn up, I wanted to see if there was any rebound to speak of and there was none. I even left a couple of shallow dents with my hammer. (really, I didn't hit it hard :))

Now, my forge will be very traditional for the time being. I have a fire pit in the back yard and added pipe to allow for air flow. What is the best method of hardening the face of the anvil so it will last me for at least a few months if not longer.

Regards,
Tim

Rail should be high enough carbon to harden and temper BUT its a big piece of steel and you will really need a large fire, gear to handle an large hot piece of steel and quenching material in large volumes.

I would just use it as is till you can get a "proper" anvil, however you define that.

Use Weyger's methods, dig a bigger trench forge out back and use a vacuum cleaner exhaust to blow it.

WATCH OUT FOR THE STEAM WHEN YOU QUENCH, get it in the water fast and deep!

Case hardening a moderately high carbon steel is wasting more time and money.