I Forge Iron

Where to find your first anvil?

The british hundred weight (abreviated cwt) is 112 pounds the first number from the left on old *ENGLISH* anvil weight markings is hundredweights so if marked X Y Z it will be X * 112

The second number is quarter hundredweights, 28 pounds thus Y can only be 0, 1, 2. or 3; so Y * 28

The last number is remaining pounds below a quarter hundredweight thus 0 <= Z <= 27; so Z * 1

Total weight for an old *ENGLISH* anvil is: (X * 112) + (Y * 28) + (Z * 1)

American anvils are marked in pounds and some more modern inported anvils may be marked in kilograms.

Thomas

Thanks for much (and thanks to Jr. for his response also). This answer my biggest question, "what is the base number for the middle number?", since mine was 0, I didn't know how to calculate that.

Oddly, I had seen CWT referred to by someone in the archives, but searching on cwt revealed nothing.

Does anyone know what is was a hundredweight of? It must have been 100 of s specific weight, eh? It can't be kilos as they're too close.

A good explanation of hundredweight is below.

Interesting that there's also a smaller American version of hundredweight just to f#@$ with our minds...so we get to deal with a short hundredweight (American) vs a long hundredweight (English). To quote a famous comedian, "This is another fine mess you've gotten us into, Stanley".

hundredweight (Cwt or cwt)
a traditional unit of weight equal to 1/20 ton. The hundredweight is the English version of a commercial unit used throughout Europe and known in other countries as the quintal or the zentner. In general, this unit is larger than 100 pounds avoirdupois, so to fit the European market the hundredweight was defined in England as 112 pounds avoirdupois (about 50.8023 kilograms) rather than 100 pounds. This definition apparently dates from about the middle of the 1300's. The British hundredweight was divided into 4 quarters [1] of 28 pounds, 8 stone of 14 pounds, or 16 cloves of 7 pounds each. In the United States, where the currency was decimalized and there wasn't so much need to align the unit with the quintal and zentner, the hundredweight came to equal exactly 100 pounds (about 45.3592 kilograms). The U.S. hundredweight seems to have been invented by merchants around 1840. To distinguish the two hundredweight units, the British version is often called the long hundredweight and the American is called the short hundredweight or cental. The C in the symbol is of course the Roman numeral 100.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a lead on a 120# Peter Wright.

8Uiz2KX5gBQdkQffCzMN4cn4LRwT.jpg

It's about 200 miles away from me, but I could drive there and back in a long day!

I wouldn't be able to pick it up until the weekend, so I'm guessing it will sell before I can buy it! I also called up a local supplier of JHM Anvils. 160#r new is about 600 and a 260#r is about 850 or so.. I might just start to think about getting a new 160#r if I can't find anything in the next few months.

456.attach

JHM 160#r

24-047.jpg

JHM 260#r

24-003.jpg

The 260#r seems a bit expensive for an anvil to start on.. A friend of mine purchased one a while ago for himself, but he's been smithing for a long time. Saving the headache of a wild anvil chase however... that might be worth 600 if its a decent new anvil. Plus the local farrier supply store that sells them is only about 30 minutes away..

457.attach

458.attach

My first anvil that I used for shoeing horses was a JHM 70# and I even worked some draft horse shoes made out of 3/4" x 1 3/4" stock with a 4# hammer. I had no trouble with and it was a good anvil. Kicking myself for not bringing it with me. When I go to visit the folks in November I will get it back. I liked it alot better than the NC that I have now and I would recomend them to any one. I wish I had the cash to dump for a 260#. Maybe someday soon. Wish me luck. :)

I also found it a bit odd, but he disliked radiusing the edges, which may have had something to do with it. If you do get it, make sure you radius the edges, and make sure you have at least half decent hammer control before you do much work on it. At this point, I am comfortable with my hammer control, but I really marked up my first anvil.... It made me sad.

Things look pretty promising for the Peter Wright. The anvil is still available, and as long as it hasn't sold by noonish tomorrow, then I am going to make the drive and pick it up. It will total 6 hours in the car, which is a bit of a drag, but seems like a decent anvil at a decent price.