I Forge Iron

Yes, they are. They are made like Alfred Habermann taught us by hand with a striker. I have come up with a few innovations on my own in order to adapt the methods to our anvils here with smaller hardy holes, but the approach is basically the same. I'll be doing a class at Yesteryear School of Blacksmithing in Virginia in November on making hammers and the tools to make hammers. Once you get familiar with these techniques, top tools and hammers are a simple matter and can be forged in less than one hour. I wish I would have been exposed to this infomation when I got started.

the courses you have over there are so much more frequent and varied than what we can get in uk..! sounds fascinating. Hate to sound stupid but i dont actually know what that great looking tool is used for - was hoping someone would explain in their post but im just going to have to ask! someone please put me out of my misery...:)

the courses you have over there are so much more frequent and varied than what we can get in uk..! sounds fascinating. Hate to sound stupid but i dont actually know what that great looking tool is used for - was hoping someone would explain in their post but im just going to have to ask! someone please put me out of my misery...:)

The different sized holes are mainly used for supporting your material better from underneath when you are drifting or punching holes. It can also be used as a heading tool for making nails, rivets, or bolts.

Yes, they are. They are made like Alfred Habermann taught us by hand with a striker. I have come up with a few innovations on my own in order to adapt the methods to our anvils here with smaller hardy holes, but the approach is basically the same. I'll be doing a class at Yesteryear School of Blacksmithing in Virginia in November on making hammers and the tools to make hammers. Once you get familiar with these techniques, top tools and hammers are a simple matter and can be forged in less than one hour. I wish I would have been exposed to this infomation when I got started.

haha I knew it do you use a powerhammer?

Someone who makes a cart with mortise and tennon and his anvil hold down the same way is definately someone I more than respect because I know I would just weld it,

Haberman is someone I respect alot as well often I find myself drawing abstract with a similar idealism as his own however, I wouldnt ever compare myself to someone as great as him.

Bryce, I do not have a power hammer, but I wish I did. Hand work and power hammer work is really not that much different. You just put the material under the dies and it does what you do. How you hold it, how hard you hit it, and whatever surfaces you are hitting it with at the appropriate temperature all matter, and you can set up any situation of your choosing to make whatever you want to happen. It doesn't matter whether you're forging with just your hand hammer, with a striker, with a treadle hammer, with a power hammer, or with anything else. Forging is forging. I have been in other shops and had the opportunity to work with alot of different power hammers. There were times when I was alone at Tom Clark's school where I could use 5 different die set ups in 5 different power hammers. That was nice!

P.S. I really learned alot from Alfred Habermann and consider myself very fortunate to have spent over a year working with him almost every day, except Sundays. He was always the same, always in a good mood, and always working. He was a pleasure to work with!

When did you work with Alfred habermann?

forging is forging but doing everything by hand limits you in someways for producing many pickets and such unless you had a good team of strikers which would eventually cost more than the hammer in a couple months I would think,

but the reality is it probley forces you to work on smaller things in finer ways such as some of your animal heads or use designs that lend themselves to allowing you to produce things without needing to move huge quanitys of metal resulting in the desired effect,

You do some great work you remind me of style and idea's of mark asprey in someways, It shows your knowledge in the forming of the metal, you can tell you knew far before the metal was touched exactly what was going to happen.

I am constantly trying to improve my tools it takes a number of years in order to know exactly what you need and exactly how to strike it, I am not there yet

All of it stems from the fundamentals the basic idea's of how to punch properly how to split, slit and drift
how to properly draw out metal square octagon and round,
I know all too often I lose focus and forget these fundamental rules these idea's that form the base of the craft.
Eventally I wont need to think about them I know that they will become automatic if i continue on the path of constant improvement.

When did you work with Alfred habermann?

forging is forging but doing everything by hand limits you in someways for producing many pickets and such unless you had a good team of strikers which would eventually cost more than the hammer in a couple months I would think,

but the reality is it probley forces you to work on smaller things in finer ways such as some of your animal heads or use designs that lend themselves to allowing you to produce things without needing to move huge quanitys of metal resulting in the desired effect,

You do some great work you remind me of style and idea's of mark asprey in someways, It shows your knowledge in the forming of the metal, you can tell you knew far before the metal was touched exactly what was going to happen.

I am constantly trying to improve my tools it takes a number of years in order to know exactly what you need and exactly how to strike it, I am not there yet

All of it stems from the fundamentals the basic idea's of how to punch properly how to split, slit and drift
how to properly draw out metal square octagon and round,
I know all too often I lose focus and forget these fundamental rules these idea's that form the base of the craft.
Eventally I wont need to think about them I know that they will become automatic if i continue on the path of constant improvement.

Man, that's alot to respond to. I wish I knew how to work this computer better.

I worked with Alfred from Aug. 2004- Jan. 2007. 6 months the first visit, 11 months the next, then 1 month. Most of that time was with Alfred.

Forging is forging. It's just a matter of proportion. Proportionally, I move just as large amounts of material with my hand hammer in the same manner that I can with a striker or power hammer. Everything is basics. The metal can only do what you do to it. Taking the time to observe what is really happening compared to what we intend to make happen can help out more than anything.

I've banged away at hot iron more than most for years and years, but I didn't really start learning as much until someone asked me how I did something and I had to explain it. That taught me so much more than just making things automatically. It is the thinking about what is really happening that this is all about and thinking about how to work with this material to allow it to yield itself to you. When the metal is hot and you touch it with whatever, it does only what you do, no more, no less. It does take practice to take a hand hammer and hit a determined spot, but if you understand from the start that a falling hammer [no matter which kind of hammer, that is your choice] hitting a piece of hot steel that is being backed by a surface of an anvil[your choice again] will only do what it will do, you'll go farther faster.

Choose your dies. The hammer and the anvil are the top and bottom dies.