I Forge Iron

I can't get hot enough

beast

alright i keep trying but i'm having problems i'm still new to this but i read a lot first lets start with the forge: it's a standard brake drum style 3" depth 12-14 inches in diameter i have a bathroom vent fan as a blower ( it was free) its about the same pressure as a hairdryer im using a blend of coke and hardwood charcoal (charcoal on the bottom seams to increase the heat a bit)i've tried just charcoal and just coke but the blend seems to be about the best now i have a color chart and i seem to be getting the heat to about 1600-1700 degrees (nice red color) but cant seem to get the yellow or higher what am i doing wrong?

The problem is one of three things:
1:Not enough air holes too small or spaced to far appart over too much area.
2:To much restriction for the design of the blower. Bathroom vents are designed to work on essentially free air. Hair driers work againt the restriction of heating elements and attachments.
3: fuel not piled deep enough.

There is an Industrial heat gun that looks like a red hair dryer. It makes a great forge blower for not much money.

all right ill try some more holes but how deep should the coke pile be? right now im piling it about 4" deep.

Twice as deep is not too much. I typically use a 20 oz paper drink cup full of paper and kindling to start my coal fires. I cut out the bottom, light paper at the top, put the burning end over my tuyre, pile coal as high I can around the cup and turn the air on at low speed.

By the time the cup and kindling are burned out the fire is going nicely with out much smoke.

I would think you could easily burn steel in a 4" deep fire with the fuel your using. I have done it with the coal I'm using and not intentionally.
Your blower might be stalling against the resistance of packed coke / charcoal in the pot. Bathroom blowers move quite a bit of air but at low pressure. A hair dryer will blow your hair right out straight. Bathroom exhaust fan is designed to be low pressure / high volume I think. Just a thought.

Dick

A shop vac will be waaaaaay too much blast! I was actually going to suggest that your problem might be that you have too much blast as it is. It's possible to blow the heat right out of the fire, and with an unregulated shop vac you certainly would. If you're going to use a shop vac you need to add some sort of valve between the shop vac and the firepot in order to regulate the blast. You're also likely to get very sick of the noise.

I typically use a 20 oz paper drink cup full of paper and kindling to start my coal fires. I cut out the bottom, light paper at the top, put the burning end over my tuyre, pile coal as high I can around the cup and turn the air on at low speed.

By the time the cup and kindling are burned out the fire is going nicely with out much smoke.

I love this. I was taught to set a brick on end on the Tuyere and pack with coke, then pull the brick out and pack the space with tinder and kindling, but this is self contained and I could even make up a couple for ease when I want to forge after work in the evenings.

Outstanding! :)

Best regards,
Tim

i have 3 commercial heat guns (really big hot hair dryers) you think those would be to powerful ?

Now beast, I know it seems desperate, but even with three commercial heat guns, you won't be able to get enough heat to forge weld. That is why we use Coal/Charcoal and Propane. :D

Best regards,
Tim