I Forge Iron

5160 leaf spring

craig

So I finally went out and bought a piece of brand new 5160 today from a local spring shop...I was surprised at the price...it was $30 for 4 feet of 1/4"x2" 5160
I thought it wasn't bad considering a local wrecker lists used leaf springs at $20 on their website.
Normally I just mess around with found materials...but I wanted to try a few larger blades and don't have much laying around that would be suitable.
I just wanted to ask if you think that is a reasonable price if I decide to buy more someday ?
Thanks !!

Look for a local 4x4 club and local mudders. Both types of groups build raised trucks and have always just given me truck springs just to haul them off. Occasionally you can get other cut offs free or through a little barter. I have made up a batch of shanks, I use to trade with. I take a box wrench cut one end off and forge a blade, they love um. Except for a few odd and ends most of my steal has been free. Local welders are also good folks to know.

Good luck,
Dave.swordsmandp

Lol, I guess I should have spell checked that post. Anyway, these are the shanks I was talking about. These are two I have just started these are rough but they clean up nice. They are very popular with mechanics and other tool using types. As I pointed out the guys are always tossing an old spring or other piece of steel my way. I make um a few shanks and we walk away friends. The best part about these arrangements is you never run out of mechanics, welders, carpenters and other hardworking (and playing) friends. Many use the barter system for everything or cut friends some slack on the price of their work. You might even talk one of them into taking you for a ride in a truck that costs more than most homes. The free metal is nice but it is equally fun to have these guys ask if you are the crazy old man making knives out of wrenches, keep a few handy.

15621.attach

There's a guy in my town that makes a trip twice a week to all the auto and repair shops in town to pick up scrap. He's been doing it since Katrina ('05) I haven't been able to cut in on his action. I've never been able to catch up with him to deal with him :(

Thanks for all the suggestions !!
I didn't ask for drops...From what I could see, the place looked more like just an installation type of spring shop...they just had pallets and pallets of springs.
What I got was just a plain leaf, it was already curved (but the ends were straight) and heat treated...I don't know if we have a place in town that actually makes and heat treats springs themselves.
Mainly I was just looking to find a "known" steel (I made sure to ask) so I knew what I was working with if I was going to spend a large amount of time and fuel for some larger blades.
I haven't used any of it yet, but I'll be sure to post when I do.
Thanks again !!

Edited by craig
Forgot a word