I Forge Iron

Black, non-rusting finish on metal

Back when I had a "2000F" electric furnace (more like 1500F), I did an experiment. I took some railroad spikes and placed in the furnace for an hour.

After that, they acquired a thick black oxide layer, which seems to be fully protective of rust. They were outside for over a month, and do not seem to rust in the little bit.

After this experiment, I Want to similarly finish a few blacksmith tongs. Some of them were very rusted, so I sandblasted them, and now they look like bare sandblasted steel and are begging to be finished.

My question is, how to achieve a similar finish without a furnace, but with a forge.

Would "oil hardening" achieve a similar result?

A good friend of mine, Chris Ray, passed on lo these nine years, was experimenting with a sugar water quench for a durable finish. He was inspired by the nearly indestructible patina on some old steel cookie sheets he picked up at Sally Anne's for catching hot parts.

I don't recall the sugar to water ratio he he liked best for a black finish but applying it simply involved quenching from near red heat and finishing with oil or wax.

Frosty

Forge scale is black iron oxide -- Fe3O4, I believe. You can create the same finish by causing the tongs to rust (Fe2O3), carding off the loose rust (leaving the firmly affixed stuff behind), repeating the process quite a few times, then (finally) submerging them in boiling water to convert the rust to Fe3O4. There are lots of ways to create the rust; bleach and muriatic acid fumes are two. (Don't combine them! One or the other!) Here's another method that's fast, involves much gentler chemicals, and works very well. (I've used it.):

http://forums.swordforum.com/showpost.php?p=372208&postcount=5

Rust bluing -- which is what you're doing -- will help prevent rust, but it's not rust proof. You should still oil or wax periodically.

Forge scale is black iron oxide -- Fe3O4, I believe. You can create the same finish by causing the tongs to rust (Fe2O3),

http://forums.swordforum.com/showpost.php?p=372208&postcount=5

Rust bluing -- which is what you're doing -- will help prevent rust, but it's not rust proof. You should still oil or wax periodically.

Matt, this is a beautiful idea, and seems cheap and perfect for a pair of tongs.

Thank you!!!

I will give it a try as soon as practicable.

Glad you like it. Should work fairly well for you. Be sure to degrease really well before you begin.

Frosty, are you sure the finish on those cookie sheets didn't come from baked on oil? (Either way -- oil or sugar -- I guess it's all carbon once the volatiles are cooked off.)

I suggested that very thing to Chris but he was getting really durable finishes with just the sugar water. I was thinking a water soluble oil and sugar might make a tougher finish but I've never tried it myself.

Frosty