I Forge Iron

Sheet metal spatula guage?

Archie Zietman

Speaking as a regular spatula user I would say that 16 gauge is too thick. Think about sliding under a fried egg or peeling a pancake of a griddle. On the order of 20 gauge is more like it. I must confess that the only spatulas I've ever make were from some 316 stainless that I scrounged. It is on the order of 1/32 inch thick. Thick is out for this item. Weight and balance are also factors.

I should add that in Mark Asprey's "Fundamental Skills of a Blacksmith: Vol 1" he gives instruction for making a colonial style spatula.
That spatula finishes out with a blade around 1/16" thick.

So I guess it kind of depends on the intended use. If it is a burger flipper then 1/16 is just fine. On my stove I like thin and springy.
I have a heavier duty one for the grill.

Edited by Charlotte
add info

i use 16 gague for my spatulas i like a thicker less flexable spatula ... been makeing them for many years that way ... they hold up for the long run unlike a lot of the stuff they sell in the stores nowadays... got a few over 25 years old still working fine! god luck!

I think Finn was referring to hand saw blades and not chain saw---lots of pounding out to get a CS bar thin!

1/16 is 16 gauge in some systems.

To use mild steel forge it out close to size, clean and then planish it down the rest of the way leaving a work hardened blade.

Thanks for all the replies! I used 16 gage, and beveled the front edges for easier slip-under-age.
be merry,
Archie

P.S. Edit: I just realized this was in knifemaking, not blacksmithing...whoops. No wonder I couldn't find it after I posted it.

Edited by Archie Zietman