I Forge Iron

Heat treating specifics

Hello again, all! I was wandering if anyone could tell me the best way to temper a prod (metal bow) for a crossbow.:D I was thinking of making the prod from a piece that is about 2" wide, somewhere around 20" long and around a fourth inch thick.
I believe that straw is the correct temper colour for springs, right?
What is the best way to get a nice even temper so the prod snaps back to it's original shape after bending?:confused:

Thanks for any insight!:cool:

Bp 0078 is good for heat treating information as well as the sickies in the knife section...You did not say wot stell you are useing with out that it is a matter of shop testing to determine heat treat proceduers or send it out to have tests done. And if it is a steel that has enough carbon to use it has to be hardened before tempering..and the only way to do that is with something as long as it is to heat it in to the proper temperature...

Bp 0078 is good for heat treating information as well as the sickies in the knife section...You did not say wot stell you are useing with out that it is a matter of shop testing to determine heat treat proceduers or send it out to have tests done. And if it is a steel that has enough carbon to use it has to be hardened before tempering..and the only way to do that is with something as long as it is to heat it in to the proper temperature...

To be honest, I am not sure what kind of steel it is. I had not thought of hardening it (for some reason):o.

If you don't know the exact alloy, then you should forget it and buy the correct alloy.

FYI most automotive spring steel is called 5160. For your project and you evident experience I would suggest that perhaps a years worth of study should be done before you begin acutally building your bow.

DON'T USE SCRAP METAL FOR A CROSSBOW PROD!

Really it is a major unnecessary danger; especially if you don't know the exact alloy!

As for straw being the correct temper colour Yes for some alloys and ABSOLUTELY NO for other alloys

If you don't KNOW the alloy you literally are playing Russian Roulette by having a stressed piece of steel aligned and quite close to your head. You don't know how many times you will luck out...