I Forge Iron

My first real knife

hello,
this is my first forged knife, its made from half of a nicholson file i found. forged to shape in my 'wok forge'. The bolster is actually a chunk of black plastic.. I dont think i would use it again, but it worked fine for my starter knife. Copper spacers (i found that too) and a mystery wood that was in my shed when i moved in. If you know what wood it probably is please let me know as i dont know much about wood. The but cap is mild steel (welded on).
I know its bent. I didnt plan on that and probably should of fixed it before i heat treated it but i was impatient and my weekend was running out. Overall, though, im happy with how it turned out. I know what works and what i have to focus on more for the next one. Let me know what you think, and what type of knife it is!

jacks_collection_075.jpg jacks_collection_086.jpg jacks_collection_085.jpg

Alot more pics in my gallery first knife project - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

ooo you ignored the warning about unknown and Found wood! how will you heat treat that? :D

LOL I had to have fun, great first try! While that wood could be anything as a photo can't tell me hardness, or color shifting from staining, it could be mahogany, and it could be a lot of things since you are in OZ, but either way it looks good keep it up.

The wood looks like walnut, hard to know for sure from just pictures though. If it seems real soft maybe sassafras... though it appears darker than most sassafras. Sorry I didn't see that you are in Australia. Probably not either of these then... maybe Jarrah?

Edited by bigfootnampa
oversight correction