I Forge Iron

Charcoal Forge Idea

I've been looking on the site and internet for days looking at solid fuel forge designs. I have an idea and I would like to ask the more experianced smiths here what they think of it.
The basic design would be a square BBQ grill, the kind with the rounded corners and a flat bottom for the box. Put a 2" hole in one side and then make a tuwere, or however you spell it, out of 2" pipe ending in a neck down to 1" four way junction. Make a square ring of straight pieces with 90 deg. corners, and the final junction the straight piece, would be capped in the center. 2 or 3 holes in each section for air flow. Coming out of the forge I would have a gate valve to control air flow and would be using a leaf blower for an air supply. All of this black iron of course. For refractory, bentonite clay, ash, and perlite? Not to sure about the perlite. Some say use it some say don't. Put about 4-5" of refractory under the tuwere and make the depression for the lit charcoal about 5" deep. Building it wouldnt be hard to do for me, I'm handy like that. I guess my question would be, does it seem like a sound design?

The perlite is used for insulation in refractory and does not have a real high temp rating, it's not needed for a solid fuel forge and if you can get kaolin it is a much more durable clay than bentonite, otherwise sounds like like a fine design.

welder19

Thanks Finnr, I hope to get it up and running before too long but it may be a while. Also, no clay where I live. Florida has clay just not here. :D

Welder, what would be a reliable source for kaolin? Is it in something I could find and purpose differently or would I have to buy it directly from a source?

Don't bother removing the heating coils, just don't use them.

You don't need a special refractory mixture, a little fire clay and sand, 4:1 is more than enough. Fire clay is generally available at concrete and masonry suppliers.

Kitty litter bentonite works but it's hydrophilic, meaning it WILL absorb any and all moisture available. This gives it a high shrink factor when it dries so it'll check (crack) like crazy. Picture a dry mud bottomed pond or lake.

Whatever clay you use, mix as little water as possible to get it to make solid clumps. The less water the less shrink checking. When you have just enough moisture you can squeeze in into a hard clean breaking lump in your fist it's ready to use.

Use a wood mallet, 2x4 end, etc. to ram in into the pan. Once the rammer stops making a mark scrape it smooth and score with a butter knife. Scoring makes weak points where the shrink checking can occur in a controlled manner. Just like expansion joints in concrete.

Frosty

thanks for that Oak Hill Forge, I will look into that.

Thanks for the information Frosty, thats the kind of input i needed. I believe I know where to go to get what your talking about. On a side note I will be moving up to Alaska in the not too distant future. Into the Fairbanks/North Pole area. Is that very far from you? Keeping in mind I have no idea about Alaska. :D

Well excellent Frosty I will deffinately do that. Thanks again for the great information. I think I know how I'm going to build it. Just need the time, place and everything else to come together now. I have a situation thats stoping me from going full bore into smithing for now. But as soon as I can I'm going to make the forge, get some iron, get it hot and beat the hell out of it. :D

Get it hot and hit it hard is the idea for sure.

Have you considered propane? I make a pretty simple and effective burner and charcoal is more expensive in the interior than Fl. The coal available isn't suitable either.

Then again the smiths in the FBKS area do get together though I don't hear much from them so there may be options available I don't know about.

Any idea of when?

Frosty

I'm looking at several months down the road. It will be a while. Hope to get there before it starts to snow. I will have a 12x16 shed to set up a shop in and will make a leanto for the forge and anvil outside. The idea about propane is a good one and I may just do that. But there is something viseral about making fire. I do enjoy that. I may have to do some venting and move everything inside when the snows start and I know that the temps get way low there. I have some considerations to think about. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. I think we just went way off topic, but so what. :D