I Forge Iron

Lesson I learned today

SBuzek

Move the water bucket away from the anvil.
Today I was forging out a blade from some 1084 and since I really new at forging this one was comeing out pretty nice for a change,but during one of my heats when coming out of the forge I lost my grip on the blade and it went straight into the water bucket. Went ahead and kept on forging it out and theen did some cleanup on the grinder. about the first 1-1/2" of the tip was cracked in about 6 places.:mad:
OHH well try another one.
Stan

I once had a piece of damascus with about 10 hours of work in jump out of the tongs and just miss the water bucket! it sort of flew in slow motions as I went NNNOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH :o (might not have been so bad but it was oil hardening steel!)

Close enough to disaster to make me very careful nowdays :D

yea I had a ring that I was attempting to forge weld go into the bucket. I got my bucket behind me now, So I have to turn around to get to it. No where neer the Anvil.. its a old Metal milk container, Ain't no telling how old it is . But holds plenty of water and takes just a small amount of room.