I Forge Iron

Rail heads and finials

Hi Sam,
There's a place in Edinburgh that does castings from your originals. I don't have the info to hand but I can send it on if required, although, I realize you are not very close to Edinburgh, but it still might be of help?
Colleen

Hi Sam, are they iron or forged? (Check with a test, not just visual as some "castings" are actually drop stamped and leave a flash line which can be taken for a pattern mark as in casting)

Try Lecky Metals, F H Brundle or Rourkes, for forged or cast finials, and if they are cast iron, try James Hoyle and Son at jameshoyle

Thanks, I've got a price from Rourke's. I don't really care what the originals are, the ones I'm going to use will be MS. The rails look as though they were assembled from a mixture of bought in parts. The rails and finials are definitely WI, I think the posts are cast.

I'm pretty sure the urns and posts are cast but the small finials could be WI, several of the bars that they are welded onto are bent. the horizontal rails are definitely WI as the rust pattern is unmistakeable.
I'm going to reproduce the bars using SG cast finials welded to 16mm MS.
The urns are mounted on a 1/2'' spigot, trapping the halved ends of the rails. I'm rather hoping that they will pull off with a bit of heat.