I Forge Iron

Aluminum can tabs, what purity?

Hey guys!

Haven't posted in a while but i'm wondering, what the purity of can tabs are. You know, the thing you use to open say a can of coke. And of the cans themselves.

I have collected a good deal of them, and thought it would be a cool project to try and melt the aluminum down and make something of it.

My next question would then be, what kind of tempuratures do you need to achieve in order to melt aluminum into a liquid state in order to cast it? What sort of materials would one need to hold molten aluminum? And so on.

Thanks!

Dont bother melting al cans
They are too thin and too much contamination from the coloring and left over contents.
You must have a puddle of molton al to put them into to get them to melt and any liquid could cause a steam explosion.
Cans are ussually the most $ per # at the scrap yard.
Trade them for al transmission casings and melt that.

I can't say about melting cans, but I have done a small amount of aluminum casting, in sand, melted over a ground forge. It was really that simple. We did start with scraps of bar stock though. I think we just used a steel pan to melt the ali in but probably better if you get a crucible made for purpose. Wear safety gear too, but I am sure that goes without saying.

The tabs melt better the just trying to melt the whole can as they act more like casting grain in that they are closer together in the crucible. I have never had a particularly hard time melting any type of aluminum with another and casting it. I have thrown all kinds into the pot and poured it. Cans do pour better if crushed but there is a lot of loss in an open flame melting furnace to oxidization. The big companies use electric melting furnaces that are closed but hey you are doing this at home and it's no big loss to you, all you need to do is have a few more cans of soda or beer to make up for the loss. Have fun and be safe!;)

Aluminum cans are made from rolled stock of a very thin thickness . Extruded aluminum, like commercial window frame stock would have more for the melting, but as Steve said, would be a different alloy. It would take WAY to many individual cans to be a worthwhile venture, even as a hobby.

Watch yard sales, flea markets, etc. for people selling old aluminum cookware, like dutch ovens, saucepans, etc. Also, look for scrapped weedeater engine parts. Lots of usable aluminum there in the cast parts. The more weight you have per item, the better off you will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! But my actual question wasn't answered if you read my origianl post.

"What the purity of can tabs are."

As far as melting them, i'm going to do it, i just need to put aside some time when i have it to do so. My original idea was to try and just see if i could do it. Not that it would serve any particular purpose, just as a learning thing.

I start work tomorrow and i'll be saving to buy a stake holder and some stakes to go with it to start cold metal shaping. After that i might build a home made forge to try some other things.

Yes you can melt cans. It however is not a good casting alloy as it was designed for extrusion processing rather than casting. To get good casting alloys start with something that was cast to begin with pistons from engines is a common suggestion.

Trying to cast alloys not meant to be cast is rather a pain.