I Forge Iron

kick press

ironantlerforge

I just dug this new toy up from a local scrap yard. It has been there for at least 25 years and probably a good deal more. It had several truck axles on top of it that I had to cut off. One of the axles was embedded in the middle of a full grown tree! If you look close you can see it in the first photo. It took 4 hours of pulling, cutting, and hoisting but I finally managed to get it out and the scrap yard guy gave it to me for $50. Not bad, if I can get it working. It weighs at least 230LB I would guesstimate and is in pretty good shape for being in a scrap yard for 25+ years.

Can anyone tell me about this new toy and what the best way would be to go about cleaning it up? I defiantly need to use a penetrating oil of some kind to get through the rust but I don't know which one would be best. I have heard some lofty clams from a product called Kroil but I don't know if it's any good. Getting all the parts moving again is going to be the biggest task and I'm not 100% sure how to tackle it.

Also, I have some questions about some of the parts that maybe someone who has one could answer. There is a bolt coming out of the front that I guess is to lock down the dies but I don't know. about 10" or so above that is another hole that I'm not sure what it's for. Any ideas? There is also an acorn looking thing on top of the press with a hole in it and I'm not sure what that is for. Also, how high should one of these be mounted, belly button height?

Questions, questions, thanks in advance!

14997.attach

14998.attach

14999.attach

15000.attach

15001.attach

Aren't blacksmiths great ? Four hours grunting, sweating and groveling to salvage some rusty hunk in the hope that it might turn out to be something remotely usable and paying good money for it as well !

Wish I could say that I've never done just.

Nice looking press. I've had some luck freeing rusted parts or bolts by heating with a torch to a red and letting it cool completely overnight. Might not be a good idea with the cast iron parts though due to the danger of cracking.

I would guess that the lower protruding bolt is to hold the tool in the ram, I assume that there is a hole in the ram to receive the stem of a top tool like in a fly press. My guess is that the hole above it is a lubrication point.

Patience is the key, put it someplace out of the way and give it a shot of your favorite rust busting penetrating oil [ not sure what is best, I've had some good luck with ''Blaster'' or ''Liquid Wrench" ]

Good luck !

I've always had good luck with Kroil.

I'm not sure what you would use as a tank (I usually use a large plastic trash can for large objects), but I'd take that thing apart as much as I could and use "Electrolytic rust removal" to take surface rust off.

If you haven't heard of that method, just Google the phrase. It's safe, easy and effective.

Take your time, use plenty of PB Blaster and a wire brush. Once things start to move a little bit, keep on brushing, spraying, and playing.

I've heard a long soak in diesel fuel works well for large objects that once moved but don't anymore. Might be more economical than several cans of penetrating oil.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Wow, you struck gold there, boy! While they don't have much power, they can be useful for veining and such. You'll no doubt find uses for it. Nice to have both hands free too.

Get those two big bolts behind the ram out first, they "pinch" the frame on the ram to adjust "slop" in the guides.

Heat and Kroll are the ticket here. Get it to black heat and apply Kroll

That is a jewel. There is a product in the Grocery Store called CLR. That is reputed to clean rust off steel as well and out off you toilet. It might be worth trying around and about on non critical areas until you see how it works.

remember that momma's spit will take rust off a bumper.but really soak, heat and work will likley get it done.cast can take lots of heat...if it's dry heat what ever you do be safe,and i hope it will work well for you. and by the time ya get it up and going...you'll be ready to start busting off ol pan heads!bol,jimmy

Why ya worried about height, you'll probably never get it going anyway! Just kidding, sorta. I see a lot of these thing that someone brings to tailgating or such and then I see the new owner doing the same, keep recycling the same stuff, been there, done that. It's already on a stand, that's how high! So if you do get it going (and I hope you do) the best ones I've seen had a seat with a bar going between your legs so you can get a little more "oomph" on it.

I've had one for several years and haven't found it useful at all. It doesn't have the oomph of a good flypress, and doesn't have the clearance of a treadle hammer.

About the only thing I've ever heard one used for is some guy set one up in front of his antique store. It accepted credit cards. You put the credit card in between the dies, gave it a kick, and it punched a guitar pick out of the center of it.

Probably better to use somebody else's credit card.

That's also about as much power as it is good for.