I Forge Iron

What Projects Do You Do You Most?

country boy

As I have been pouring over all of your posts and also going though the Blueprints. I was wandering what projects you find your self doing the most?
I know if you are into bladesmithing, you are going to be making knives or blades of that nature. But in blacksmithing, there is a lot you can do. General
hardware tools for your work shop, wood working tools or stuff for Buckskinning. The list seems endless... just wandering.

Country Boy

Smithing is an Art-Manual by which an irregular (or several Lumps)
of iron is wrought into an intended Shape.
-Joseph Moxon,Mechanick Exercises (1678)

In August of 2006 I started working my way through the drawings and specifications, building the parts for a Army Civil War era Traveling Forge. This included hinges, a hasp, brackets, woodworking, wooden wheel building, etc. I just started making the various parts, not really expecting to be able to finish all the parts. Now I just have to make the bellows, for which I am making extra parts so that I can experiment with making the bellows less heavy so I can move it around single handed.

To build the carriage and the wheels, I found myself making tools to make tools to make the wheels and various carriage parts. I recommend taking a toolmaking class at your local blacksmith guild, as well as a course in arc welding. The more stuff I make, the more I find myself making tools to make the stuff.

My next project is scheduled to be a roller mill, followed by fixing a trailer so that the Traveling Forge can go to events at the local blacksmith guild public presentations and other historical presentations.

I work in both wood and iron. On my list of things to make when the Traveling Forge is finished is a chest or toolbox with decorative hinges, hasp and fittings, as a possible fundraiser for a local blacksmithing guild.

If one gets bored, there is always Sonn's book "Early American Wrought Iron". Simply start on page one and work one's way through the stuff in the book. :D

14986.attach

14987.attach

14988.attach

Unicorn
Thats so cool I like the wooden wheels your woodworking skills must be pretty darn good!!!
When you finsh your moble shop you must share some more pictures I for one would like to see it
Thanks for sharing

Country Boy

Smithing is an Art-Manual by which an irregular lump(or several lumps)
of Iron is wrought into an intended Shape
-Joseph Moxon,Mechanik Exerise(1678)

• 1 year later...