I Forge Iron

US customs proposed changes

Steve Sells

Forwarded by request, I am not donating, but its an issue we should be aware of.

AKTI opposes U.S. Customs' May 21 attempt to revoke the permission granted earlier to import assisted-opening knives. They propose to re-classify assisted-opening knives as switchblades. AKTI fears that their broad new language will redefine all one-hand-opening knives as switchblades. If U.S. Customs succeeds, they will effectively ban all folding knives from interstate commerce. Individuals who cross state lines into states where switchblades are banned will be subject to arrest and prosecution.

AKTI's request for an extension to respond to the proposed ruling has been denied today (June 10). We need you to register your opposition today. Your comments must be received by U.S. Customs via snailmail (emails not permitted) by June 21st (that's a Sunday so plan on getting your response to them by June 20 or earlier).

This is not someone else's problem. This is huge. U.S. Customs is serious. Help us to help you! Go to American Knife & Tool Institute (AKTI) Keeping Knives in American Lives now and get more information. We've also created model letters, Knife User Data sheets, and AKTI Talking Points so you can write a clear, rational letter that reflects your concerns as either an individual or business owner.

Thank you!

David D. Kowalski
AKTI Communications Coordinator

----- Forwarded Message ----

Benchmade Knife Company, in support with The American Knife and Tool Institute (AKTI) opposes U.S. Customs' attempt to classify assisted-opening knives and all one-hand-opening knives as switchblades.

U.S. Customs proposes to bypass Congress and expand the switchblade definition to include all knives that open with one hand. These include multi-tools, traditional pocket knives, one-hand openers, and assisted-openers.

More than 35 million law-abiding Americans now own one-hand-opening knives in one of the above four categories.

The majority of Americans who carry and use one-hand-openers every day need them for their jobs. They use them to save lives as well as for scores of recreational activities.

If U.S. Customs succeeds, it could lead to effectively banning all folding knives from interstate commerce.

We're asking you to register your opposition to the U.S. Customs' plan (19 CFR Part 177) to re-classify assisted openers and all folding knives.

Please address your comments to arrive at Customs by June 21, 2009.

19 CFR Part 177
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Office of International Trade, Regulations and Rulings
Attention: Intellectual Property and Restricted Merchandise Branch
Mint Annex, 799 Ninth St. N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20229

Please also express your concerns to your state Senators and representatives.

The proposed changes of US Customs will put several workers at extreme risk in their jobs!
I know for a fact that here in Canada that ANYONE who works on water for a living MUST carry a knife that can be opened with one hand only in the event that they become entangled in a rope and be pulled into the water! IT IS THE LAW! My son works for a marine business that works on the ST Lawrence river and they were checked by Dept. of Labour Safety officers one day this passed week and the first question they asked in regard to safety equipment was if EVERYONE on the working barge had one of the one-handed opening knives on their person. The knives must also have a clip to hold them at the top of their pocket so they don't have to reach down into their pocket to try and get it out. This was made law here in Canada for a reason. IT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO SAVE LIVES IN THE PAST! I agree with Steve in that you should fight the proposed changes as it will definitely put people at EXTREME risk if it is brought into effect!

Terry

I'm kind of curious. Exactly how are they defining assisted opening?
Btw. US customs has no say in interstate commerce. Going to be a cold day in ... before Cajuns let someone tell them the size and style of knife they carry when then are working. :)
Before I get worked up about it I'm going to have to see the text of regulation

Thanks for the link CBrann.

Reading this very carefully the alarmist post is, in my opinion, a plea for contributions not a real issue. The rulling applies only to a very narrow design of "spring assisted" or gravity assisted opening knives, but which permits several other designs that are infact failsafe by mechanical design.

Also, as I pointed out earlier, U.S. Customs has no control over internal transportion of goods. ( Unless they are under Customs bond) They a can not by law arrest you for anything outside of defined zones. Custom Knife makers should applaud that the customs service is keep so much junk out of the United States.

I see that while I was drafting my verbose reply, Charlotte has gotten to the same basic conclusions much more succinctly. .

I read the actual CBP document, not just the activists' interpretation of it, and I'm not persuaded it has nearly the sweeping effects that are being claimed.

First, CBP has no jurisdiction to define the term "switchblade" for purposes of domestic criminal law. Their definition may constitute some kind of persuasive precedent in terms of domestic law, but it's only directly applicable to requests to import.

Second, they seem to have gone out of their way to clarify that the sorts of knives they're concerned about are, "knives with spring- and release-assisted opening mechanisms," and that, "[t]he knives at issue open via inertia – once pressure is applied to the thumb stud (or protrusion at the base of the blade), the blade continues in inertial motion (caused by the combined effect of manual and springassisted pressure) until it is stopped by the locking mechanism of the knife. Such knives open instantly for potential use as a weapon. We therefore conclude, in consideration of the authorities and sources Switchblade Knife Act and implementing regulations, that the knives with spring-and release- assisted opening mechanisms, that such knives are described and prohibited by 15 U.S.C.

Edited by MattBower

• 3 months later...

Sure seems like a lot of folks are not pleased with things being proposed. Let me suggest that the work we put into bringing these items in this kind of forum will not do a lot towards letting the folks elected to make changes or not know how we feel. If you are for or opposed to things let your congress folks know. write, call or wot ever you wish. But express your self in a clear professional way. This kind of forum does do one thing and that is let more folks know of things like this.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the link CBrann.

Reading this very carefully the alarmist post is, in my opinion, a plea for contributions not a real issue. The rulling applies only to a very narrow design of "spring assisted" or gravity assisted opening knives, but which permits several other designs that are infact failsafe by mechanical design.

Then it's knifes that can be opened one handed, then any knife without a safety lock, then any knife with a point (ask the UK), then any knife period.

This is the same deal as they pull with gun control... "It's only 'assault weapons'" until you read what assault weapons actually means...
I guess as long as they aren't taking your .22 squirrel gun it doesn't really matter, right?