I Forge Iron

framed veneer saw wingnut

Those are always a fun project. The hard part is having enough "mass" in the center punched hole for threading with your tap.

You also see them on a lot of farm equipment. Like on the ends of the rods holding the side boards together on a wood-wheeled wagon. And some on the early grain binders and combines. Anywhere you have a nut that needs to be removed a lot - because you don't always have a wrench with you.

And some of the old horse-drawn field carriages for cannons had similar wing-nuts.

Mikey

Junior,
How 'bout a BP on making saw blades some day. I can see from the vid, that yours work real well, and that's gotta be an art soon to be lost. I would love to see it anyway, and am sure many others on here would like to see it also. thanks for all the knowledge you've passed on here. I know I've learned a ton from your posts and BP's.

Mike Limb

You are trully an ispiration for me:D Thank you for shairing.
Couple questions- Did you get into smithing to make tools for woodworking or was it something else?
Did you make all the tools used to make the chests?
Is all your work done in the tradtional way without power tools?
Again, Thanks for shairing

I am a third generation smith, forced retirement after 55+years in 2006 when I hurt my back, galoot woodworking was/is my hobby.

The majority of the tools are antiques, what was too expensive to buy I made and a few of my own design, necessity is the mother of invention thing.

Yes, I have power tools, a drill press, spindle sander, bandsaw, lunchbox planer, jointer and my table saw I made back in the 70's, I do most of my mortising either with pigstickers or a WF&G Barnes Foot Mortiser, my scroll saw is an antique treadle model, my radial arm saw is an Emerson cut off saw, the forerunner of the modern radial arm saw.

Very nice indeed!
Sorry to hear about your back...
I'm the opposite- 3rd generation furniture and cabinet maker, although my line skipped a couple generations and then landed on me... Actually my great grandfather was a paturn maker and his father before him. I have inheritted many of their hand tools and will always keep them warm with my hands. My goal is to bring wood to iron, copper and bronze in non traditional ways. I've done a few things, nothing noteworthy as of yet...
Keep up the good work!