I Forge Iron

titanium sword

junker

WOW!!! And they said it couldn't be done! Beautiful! Well, originally when I started forging titanium they told me that it couldn't be forged. I didn't know any better and did it any way. Thanks for sharing!!!

CP 1 & 2 Ti holds an edge about as well as mild steel does. I haven't worked with the alloys as I'm trying to avoid the Beta ones' forging issues.

Shoot I've hacksawed Ti before, like stainless only *worse*.

*Every* metal and alloy has it's use---places where it's just the thing needed, just right. Where we get into trouble is when they try touting a metal or alloy for *everything* when for most things that metal or alloy may be much inferior than the "right" one.
Ti is one of those hyped Metals (remember credit cards "Gold, Platinum, Titanium"! What's next Plutonium?)

My boss if a bit Ti fan, he got a Ti cased laptop and was quite miffed when I told him that Ti makes a *LOUSY* laptop case as it doesn't transmit heat well and heat is a big problem in laptops---an Al case would be much superior and be just as good for the sort of stresses a laptop can withstand. OTOH I forged a set of Ti tongs for use with my gasser as heat traveling up the reins is a problem with a gasser.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how true it is, but I hear the swords they use in the medieval times shows are titanium. I hear it sparks better when hitting another sword? Greater dramatic effect.

I have heard similar, but it was because the lighter blade was more controllable for stage fighting.
Phil