I Forge Iron

Design of an anvil.

Wow, my friend and I are going to make an anvil this summer, actually probably down by the end of June. Anyhow, there are so many designs with so many different features. Our anvil is going to be in a top and a bottom, and then 100% welded at the waist. But to get to the point, I wanted to know fi you guys could critique our anvil design.

We are planning on a 3" face, and 30" long face, and 14" tall. Total weight at 200lbs. Style kind of like a euroanvil. Minus and clip and upsetting block. The pritchel hole has been moved back, and we have added a drawing face to the anvil. It will help a lot for those who do a lot of drawing over the horn and are sick of the anvil bouncing, it also puts the full weight of the anvil below the drawing face. The hardy hole is right before the horn. We have already made a mini version from 3/4" sq stock. It was a lot of fun, and we learned a lot. Some of you might wonder how we are gonna forge the anvil. We are using a press...but from what I've said, can anyone critique it or improve it?

Thanks in advance...

Can you tell us what it will be used for?

"I have a 100# anvil is it a good weight?" For working 2" sq stock NO!!!!!!!!!!! For 1/4" stock YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I once had a 190# HB swell horned farriers anvil that was terrible for making knives on---very narrow face but was GREAT for scrolls

Anyone who offers a critique without knowing what it's to be used for is just guessing!

And how will he or she accomplish the quench? AFAIK, successfully quenching an anvil-sized chunk of tool steel (i.e., quenching it fast enough to harden satisfactorily) is one of the more challenging parts of the process.

We are heating the steel with a 7"x7"x12" gasser that we are building right now. Our press.... Welding process will be top and bottom, 1/2" spacer in between 100% with 7018 which is the correct rod for 4140-A-36. Weld around, chip, weld around chip, etc... We are also going to be building a HT furnace similar to the 55gal drum one this summer later on as well. Then we'll do the cascading water just like they did in the old days. Then we'll temper in HT furnace, and take to a friends for rockwell testing and milling of the face and machining.

Edit add-on:
If this doesn't work, then we will keep fixing our problems until the first anvil is satisfactory, and then move on to the next one. This is going to be a long and challenging project, but we will take it one step at a time, and overcome each problem one step at a time. If anyone is interested, we will be documenting this.

Edited by m_brothers
process disclaimer