I Forge Iron

Punch?

Can somebody tell me how to make a punch, I really have searched but could not find anything and if it's not to much to ask could it be with pictures please. I would really appreciate it and what steel should I use?

Not to be an xxx, but what kind of punch? Hot punch, cold punch, center punch? Letter punch? What are you looking to do with your punch?

In general I use coil or leaf spring, forge down to near the dimensions I want, file and grind to my final dimensions.Add date, and touch mark, Heat and harden, polish and draw temper to a med straw color. Seal with ureathane, and use.

Kai:

The dimensions are what YOU need. Make what you need. Length will depend on what you want to use them for as well. If you're hand holding for hot work long is nice as it gets your off hand farther from the hot steel. If you're using them under a treadle or power hammer they need to be short, both to fit under the ram and to minimize the chance of them cocking and kicking out. That means flying across the room at high speed or INTO someone standing in front of the treadle/power hammer. This is a BAD thing.

There is NO single "right" length/size. I get most of my punches and chisels at garage sales, 2nd. hand shops, etc. and rework them to suit what I need. I also have a goodly bunch of punches, chisels, etc. made from coil spring heat treated about the same as CBrann related above.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also if local folk know you're there they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

Thanks for everything I am kind of scared of making things cause I want to make them just right but I already made a few things and they are okay I want to follow detailed instructions so that I make no mistakes but one has to make mistakes to learn.By the way how does one put the location on I really don't know how?

Kai,

As you have already found its not so hard to make a workable tool. Now to make a tool you will gladly show off to all who will look is another matter but that is only practice.

I would say for you to continue on as you have started and just have a go and it will get easier as you progress. If you have any specific requirements then spec them out here and help will come by the bucketful.

Cheers

When I started I soon discovered that I wanted stronger, tougher punches than I could make out of A36. After making one punch out of a scrap of coil spring I got to paying attention to what was on the rack of cheapo cheapo discount stores. ex(big lots, dollar general, flea markets, salvation army etc.) I found that I could buy punches made of tool steel for less than a buck apiece. Later on I graduated to the big time and bought wrecking bars for 4 bucks apiece. The last time I found a deal I bought 6 bars. Tool steel, 28 inches long, 3/4 hex. makes a world of of tools.

Don't assume that because it is cheap and comes for the third world that is is bad steel.
Today, the price of steel is about the same the world round and the alloys are all similar.
There are simply not that many primary producers for them not to be in competion with everyone else. The variations are in quality control of steel production, and in the manufacturing of the specific item. Many of the import punches will be made of simpler carbon steels with out the alloy additions that mark the best american brand tools.
Simpler alloy equates to greater ease of heat treating.

Point being: Buy some cheap punches, shape them to your specific needs, study what works for you or doesn't. I still have punches and chisles that I made that way years ago. One thing you will learn is what the appropriate size is for a given job.

I'm afraid detailed instructions aren't how most blacksmithing is done, that's more the realm of a machine shop.

There's no way to learn this craft without making mistakes, the longer you practice it the larger your mistake pile will grow. Think of it as evidence of your education, something that won't stop till you do.

Once you learn how to make good functional SAFE punches, chisels, etc. there'll be plenty of time to learn to make them look good. A person who doesn't know the craft will be impressed with shiny, someone who does know the craft will be more impressed with the quality of the tool first. Shiny is good too, just not #1 on the list.

Don't worry, make your tools and learn. You'll do fine.

Frosty

The joy in blacksmithing is to be able to customize your tools and so improve them with every new attempt.

If you are afraid of making mistakes; or if your first try *has* to be perfect then perhaps blacksmithing is not a good fit with your character. If you can shrug it off with a "well that didn't work...I wonder what would happen if I tried it this way..." Then you will find great satisfaction in blacksmithing and probably end up years later writing new people and telling them "I tried it that way but found that for me this way worked better..."

Edited by ThomasPowers

Kai,

Take a look at these two resourses on the web

Workshop Report on the integration of population education into programmes for rural youth in Zimbabwe
Agricultural engineering in development

They were produced by Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations as blacksmithing manuals. They might have what you are looking for. Hope they help

Brian