Peter Wright Information

Hello everyone,
I recently found a Peter Wright symbol on my anvil. It shows as follows:

Peter
Wright
Patent
England
1 3 24 inside a symbol that says solid wrought

I am planning on selling this anvil and wondering if anyone knew how much it would sell for? And perhaps what year it may have been made in. From the information I have looked at thus far, it was made post 1910.

Hmm, lets see, a 220 +/- Peter Wright, made after 1910, which makes it modern, no mention of condition, no pictures to see condition, no idea where it will be coming from, hmmm.....best I can do is .35/pound, you pay the shipping. Yeah, I think that would be a good deal. For me, that is.

C'mon, do we look like appraisers here or what?:D

I'm sure with some pictures and a location, someone might be able to help you.

I'm not trying to be negative, but shed light on the fact that those of us who want to help with your request, can't without details. Heck, some of us may know someone near you looking for an anvil.

Edited by keykeeper

I think your anvil weighs about 220 lbs given the numbers of 1, 3 & 24.

With regard to price you'll need to posts photos - good photos showing the edges, horn, surfaces (sides, top, front, back). If maximum profit is your goal (as opposed to selling it at a humane price to a friendly blacksmith) start watching eBay - pay no attention to the ones who set a high starting price - rather, watch the ones that start at $1 - the selling price should be a good indicator of what the market will bear but don't expect to get that price locally...

Sorry for not providing pictures, the anvil is definitely not in the best condition. Let's just say I did not know that there was even a symbol on it until today when I cleaned it up a bit. I just wanted to get rid of it and someone near me wanted to purchase it, but I had no idea of what price to even ask. I have absolutely no knowledge about anvils and figured this would be a good place to start. I was just going to take it to a scrap yard, therefore, I am not looking for a profit.

P.S. I was not trying to sell it to anyone on this site and just because this is a "primary group" of people does not mean they are not knowledgeable. I have been to many forums and people are usually helpful and do not provide negative comments.

The most you can expect to get for any anvil is "market price", which is determined by the number of people interested, how much $$$ they have, the condition it's in, and the number of anvils on the market in your area. It could go for as little as $50 or as much as $1000, but if you're just looking to get rid of it, please seek out a local blacksmith or blacksmith group and offer it to them for the same price as your local scrappy would pay for 220 lbs of scrap. The smile on their face will be worth the extra effort.