I Forge Iron

What is this tool for? Part II

Good morning,

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this guy is used for?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_GgUUcQHYZkY/ShhfvTBUGeI/AAAAAAAAD48/8MZnzFlxm3c/s576/IMG_7653.JPG

I am thinking unfinished tongs or some kind of caliper. This is another thing I managed to scrounge (this one basically free, from the scrapyard at $0.20/lb) and found a similar one on the internet/ebay.

Thanks,

-Grant

In the picture they are set as outside dia calipers, move one arm so it crosses the other so the little 'prongs' stick outwards and you have inside dia calipers (just to expand on T.D's answer)

Also quite handy to use as a makeshift angle gauge - assuming they have straight edges like mine.

Edited by Bob JS
spelling

Thanks for the input everyone however upon closer review they don't match the pics i linked in the original post.

Wife is out of town with the digital camera which is useless anyways as she lost the USB cable for it so I will post a crude MSpaint masterpiece...
14511.attach

One end of the whatsit tool has a bone shape to it the end that opens. On the other arm it has a right angle bend at the end that lines up and fits almost perfectly into the center of the bone shaped arm. The two ends fit very well together and have little play to them.

Unfinished tongs... why not? Couldn't someone have forged the reins and jaws separately?

Not sure exactly what kind of steel they are from sight and don't want to grind them to find out.

Thanks,

-Grant