I Forge Iron

Jewellery Forge ?

Hi, I have just joined, as I am sort of trying to teach myself forgework for the purpose of a college project, that of making iron jewellery. The iron I am recovering from an estuary, where there lies many sunk and long rotted away ships dating back 200 years or so. The wood has largely gone, but the iron remains so I get it for the purpose of college work. Now, I have tried to use the college's coke forges, but the pieces of metal I am working with, some being about quarter inch diameter at the start, get lost in forge on a regular basis, especially when others are poking around in them for their own work. So, I have plans to build my own forge, a small affair for the purposes of jewellery work. I am planning it to be fuelled by coke, as the college is a free supply of that, but I need something small, has anyone any suggestions ?

I have tried working the metal with a torch, this does work, but is definately not safe, hooking a burning torch in the crook of the arm so I can beat the metal, scary !!! I have to consider health and safety in what I do, because of the college, hooking a torch in the arm, is not good, especially as most who use the workshops are definately not workshop aware.

There are lots of small forge designs here. Check the blueprints. Check the forges section of this forum. Google has plenty too.

If I may suggest, another possible solution might be to work at odd times when there are few other users at the forges and/or to use a container of some sort to keep your iron from falling into the nether regions of the fire. A piece of black pipe with one end forged closed might suffice. Be sure to use black pipe (gasline) NOT galvanized. Thick pipe lasts longer especially at high heats.

MIG welding a rod for a handle to a sacrificial end of your iron might also work well and then you can do most work without tongs which is easier (especially if you are new at it).

I'm not sure if I'd want to put a torch under external pressure like a vise. However, working with a mounted torch is common in glasswork, and you could probably buy (or forge) a holder to keep the torch in place safely.

Edited by eyrian

A solid fuel forge is easy to make and you can make it any size you want or need. Remember the smaller the fire pot the more difficult fire management is (at least I find it so). Perhaps the simplest way to go small is to put a hole in the side of a suitably sized metal can (or other container) for a sacrifical air pipe, line with wood ashes to the desired size and you're set. I use a forge made from an old bbq grill built like this.

ron

Well Silverclaws welcome to IFI. I think ApprenticeMan has given you some really good advice. A brake drum forge is easily set up from scrap and that combined with your free supply of coke will work very well.

Have fun with your project and keep safe.

Hi Matt, I am just outside Plymouth, attending Plymouth College of Art, formerly PCAD. Do I recognise you from the British Blades website ?

I only lurk on BB once in a while, haven't even registered. It would be good to meet up with you some point.