I Forge Iron

Round Stock Handle for Chisel

Have a 4" wide cold chisel with a hex-shaped body 6" long and 1/2" in diameter. Have noticed forging tools where round stock is wrapped around body of tool (in lieu of being inset into a wooden handle). Can anyone describe how to fabricate such a handle? I believe I can do it easily enough but it looks like the secret to success is not the wrapping but what you do when done so the tool doesn't slide or fly out!

Fullering/grinding 1 or two notches depending on if you want to save the original temper to hold the rod a bit helps. Make sure the wrap is tight. There is a certain way to wrap to hold better which is relatively clear in most pictures but I can't remember how to describe it.

Miscellaneous
This link shows a good example from multiple directions how to wrap them.

Welcome aboard Glilley, good to have you.

Grinding or fullering a groove around the shank of the tool is how you keep the wrapped rod from slipping. The trick to getting a good tight wrap is doing it at the right heat, too cool and you can't get it tight enough to really cinch down when it cools. Too hot and the rod will stretch as it cools and not cinch down enough either.

One method is to get it roughly wrapped, then slip if off the tool bring it to a med red heat slip it back on and tighten the wrap, twist it where the wrap meets for the handle and let it cool.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also, if local folks know you're there they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

Wow! Thanks to all for all the great replys - this thread is like an on-line twist and wrap lesson for free! Great links to the examples. I had been several times to the tong website and have been scrutinizing those finished goods real close. The profile and fore and aft pictures of his products show exactly what's going on. Like you said, great prices - must do it for the love of the craft! God bless 'em!

Hi,

On the July 1992 issue of "The Clinker Breaker" of the Florida Artist Blacksmith Association you can find instructions(by Robb Gunter) on how to forge the tools and how to handle it with rods. (You can download it from their site)

Here is the link: http://www.blacksmithing.org/CB-Archive/1992/1992-07-cb.pdf

Hope it helps

Rub

Edited by Grafvitnir
Adding link