I Forge Iron

YardBird

I made this as a mothers day present for my yard art loving mom. The wind vane is made from 3/4 inch round. The stand is 5/8 round with vine texture on most of it, the circle is made by pinching bits on the near left corner of the flat dies of the power hammer, then wrapping around a piece of pipe fixed to the platen table. The bird is 3/16 inch plate, made from the instructions in Mark Asperys new book. He made this kind of bird a few years ago at a hammer-in, I really liked it, but didn't take notes. It was great seeing a step-by-step in this book. Sorry for the shameless plug on Mark's new book, but it's a pretty good book...
Take care, Mike

14277.attach

14278.attach

14279.attach

Thanks! Mark, the pivot is just a short piece of 3/16 round, sharpened on the top side, stuck into blind holes in both pieces. The vane spins around darn near effortlessly. It's a lot of fun watching blackbirds try and land on the vane, sometimes they get almost half a rotation before they can take off again...