I Forge Iron

Idea for item to sell

I know someone who uses his holddown both for his anvil, and for his bench, but I never thought to try to sell them before. Thats a pretty good idea. But, Im pretty sure they should be made from spring steel, coil springs make good ones if you let it normalize when you're done.

There's no need at all for them to be spring steel. Plain old mild steel works just fine. Probably better, as the design of these makes a pretty severe stress riser at the change from round to flat or square. When you smack one with a hammer to set it, you don't want it to snap in two.

All steel has pretty much the same "springiness"; higher carbon steels just allow you to bend it farther before it yields. With a holddown, there is no need for it to bend much, so no need for higher carbon.

3/4 cold rolled round roughed up with a sanding wheel a bit and 1//4 by 1 flat arc welded to the top and then heated and forged a bit. The board contact foot should have a slight radius to the bottom so it doesn't mark the work with a sharp corner.

Hello Irnsrgn, I have hard people call them "bench dogs" or a bench dog of sorts. I have tried a cheap version in my wood working and it was horrible. I ended up buying a better version with a spring clamp. Still drops in a drilled hole in the bench and wedges in to place.
Funny thing for me is as I got more into Blacksmithing I brought it into the garage and it fit right into the pritchle hole works on the same principle.

I do believe you are correct, a quality forged Item as you described would be welcomed by wood workers, because as i said before some of the store bought are very "cheesy" not worth the money or aggravation they cause

I stand corrected IRNSRGN, Thank you for correcting me as I miss spoke.
The proper name, as sold buy "ROCKLER Woodworking & Hardware" is a
"4-1/4'' Reach Hold-Down Clamp" The bench Hold down... Use this clamp for wedging the workpiece against your bench. 4-1/4'' reach. 8-1/4'' long. 11/16'' diameter and is sold for $9.99 each.
I still do believe you have a great Idea to sell a hand forged version to serious wood workers.

I've always known them to be called Holdfasts. Roy Underhill of the woodwright's shop uses them. The cast versions from tool stores are junk. A holdfast was my first blacksmithing project and I've done a few more with newbie smithing friends, mostly hand tool using neaderthals, a group in which I proudly include myself.

http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/details.php?image_id=2525

Crude but effective.

IIRC there's a smith in Alaska, Koontz I think, who makes a set, a small and large, with the brass brushed leaf end on it, for $80 or $90 for the set.

Michael