I Forge Iron

off the wall fuel, corn ?

Drifter

Here in the midwest we are short of coal yards :o

I bought a corn stove to heat the house with but that didn't pan out right well . I find myself wondering if anyone has tried corn as a fuel for a forge ? I conversed with a guy from the south east that has a corn burner that puts out 1 million BTU/hr. My stove was a measely 40,000 BTU/hr.

Drifter

Thanks dkunker interesting read . I know to get rid of the clinker a stirrer works wonders . my stove had one made of stainless and would get glowing red when on high fire . It was a top feeding unit . I still have it and will be tinkering in that direction I think . Stacked brake rotors will be my firepot as you can set it up to feed the air in from the sides thru the cooling slots . My brain storm is to feed from the bottom with an auger and a stirrer attached to it to help break up the clinker . Now all I need is time off from work as 12 hr shifts don't allow much tinkering time .

Drifter

I don't think you'll gain much if anything by using anything but a regular fire pot, either bottom or side blast.

On the other hand, I've never heard of let alone tried a fire pot like you describe and will be looking forward to hearing how it works. And pics, lots of pics would be good. ;)

Frosty